The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Is email considered written notice of a resignation

Guest Wayne

If a board member submits his resignation from the board by email to all board members, including the secretary, is that person considered to have submitted his resignation "in writing"?

Yes, I believe an e-mail would count as "writing" under the meaning of RONR, 11th ed., pg. 291, lines 1-6, as well as under the commonly used definition of the word "writing."

If you are asking whether it counts under some customized rule of the assembly, I suppose you would need to interpret your customized rules. See RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 588-591.

No harm in amending the bylaws to read "... in writing, including electronic communications methods,"

That could include e-mail, fax, phone call, telegram (if such still exist!), a facebook page posting, a tweet, and who knows what might come along next, I suppose! Perhaps you should limit the insertion to "including e-mail".

No harm in amending the bylaws to read "... in writing, including electronic communications methods,"

That could include e-mail, fax, phone call, telegram (if such still exist!), a facebook page posting, a tweet, and who knows what might come along next, I suppose! Perhaps you should limit the insertion to "including e-mail".

How could someone submit something in writing by telephone (except perhaps by TDD -- or by modem, which would really be by e-mail)?

Telegram is a more interesting question, as the person submitting the resignation is not the one doing the writing.

(Edited to add necessary copulative verb.)

Archived