The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Robert's Rules supersede Constitution?

Guest Heather

Does Robert's Rules of Order supersede a Lutheran Church's Constitution and By-Laws. If our By-Laws state that the congregation must vote on a pastoral candidate from the slate provided by our call committee, are we unable to make a motion to add an additional name to that slate at a Special Voters' Meeting?

In general, your constitution/bylaws would "win" if there was an actual rule conflict. However, RONR does say that, absent any prohibition in the bylaws/constitution, the floor must be opened for further nominations after the nominating committee (presumably that is what your "call committee" is) makes its report, p. 435.

So... take a close look at the nominating process as described in your const/byl. and see if there is a prohibition. It may turn out to be a matter of interpretation of your const/bylaws and that chore will be up to your association in a meeting - see p. 588. We don't do bylaws here. Only RONR.

I've been wondering for some time about them abstemious commas. I thought it was a Virginia thing at first but then it persisted all over the South. I thought about mailing some, but they fell out of leaks in the envelopes. Alas! I thought about mailing Chris leeks instead, but they rot fearsome quick in the summer. Chris, how about fried onions and blueberry Danish?

Archived