The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominating Committee Voting

Guest Colin

Our by-laws call for 5 members in good standing. We have 5 members in good standing. One of the potential nominees is the spouse of a committee member. Can the committee member vote for the spouse? I would think so, but need to be sure. Thanks for your help.

Our by-laws call for 5 members in good standing. We have 5 members in good standing. One of the potential nominees is the spouse of a committee member. Can the committee member vote for the spouse? I would think so, but need to be sure. Thanks for your help.

I'm not clear on the details of your question, but I don't see anything that would prevent any member from voting on anything. :)

RONR doesn't prevent a member from voting for a spouse.

Our nominating committee voted on the potential nominees to fill 2 board seats. One nominating committee member voted for his wife. Another committee member doesn't believe he should be allowed to vote for his wife. I hope that makes it more clear. The wife has enough votes to a seat with his vote. There is a tie without his vote. Thanks!

Our nominating committee voted on the potential nominees to fill 2 board seats. One nominating committee member voted for his wife. Another committee member doesn't believe he should be allowed to vote for his wife. I hope that makes it more clear. The wife has enough votes to a seat with his vote. There is a tie without his vote. Thanks!

In a nominating committee, a member can vote for himself to be nominated, so I don't see why he couldn't vote for his wife. ;)

In the Stalinist USSR, conflict of interest was held to forbid marital relations. Consequently, the population plummeted. With the ascension of Nikita Khruschev to the premiership in 1953, the prohibition was rescinded, with the hope that things might improve. To everyone's surprise except American's, it turned out that everybody in Russia disliked everyone else. As a result, the continent broke off at the Bering Strait and floated away.

And that's why the only Russians on Earth are here in Brighton Beach and Sheepshead Bay.

At first arose from question Colin,

of husband dear, in peril fallen

of selfless voting for his wife,

or vote against, for fear his life;

he's come afoul of rules of interest,

but (achoo -- excuse; must be the pollen)

never mind: let's take it simplest:

page 407, Robert's Rules,

restricts no husband's voting tools

(Gaah, that was cheap, but I must wait,

building up to Bering Strait)

(More later

alligator)

At first arose from question Colin,

of husband dear, in peril fallen

of selfless voting for his wife,

or vote against, for fear his life;

he's come afoul of rules of interest,

but (achoo -- excuse; must be the pollen)

never mind: let's take it simplest:

page 407, Robert's Rules,

restricts no husband's voting tools

(Gaah, that was cheap, but I must wait,

building up to Bering Strait)

(More later

alligator)

Where's Nancy Regan when you need her?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived