The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Who can make a motion?

Guest Mary Ann Kelly

Guest Mary Ann Kelly

Our organization holds monthly board meetings. Under the bylaws, those meetings are open meeting and all members may attend.

At a monthly board meeting, can any member of the organization make a motion or can only a board member make a motion?

After a motion is made, who votes on the motion - - just the board members, or all the members of the organization?

The easy part is, nobody except board members gets to vote at board meetings. Period.

The rest might be murky. (Or not.) Under Robert's Rules, members have all rights (that means board members -- only members of the board -- not members of the board's association), and non-members have Zero rights. So if the bylaws allow members of the association to attend, then they only have that right, to sit there silently and observe. NOthing else.

(There is a countervailing position, to which I myself happen to be partial, but I'll not burden new Guest Mary Ann Kelly with it. Not at no $4.50 an hour at 4 in the morning, I won't.)

(Unless she asks me. I'm such a sucker.)

N. B. Boy I like typing those square brackets, with the "i's" and "/i's," to get italics and boldface,

over and over!

Agreeing with Mr. Tesser, I would add that the board could allow non-board-members to make motions and to enter into debate by voting to suspend the rules to allow such participation at a particular meeting. Such suspension of the rules could also be very specific (e.g. a motion to allow Jane Doe to make a motion regarding a specific topic) rather than giving sweeping permission to all non-board-members to participate as they see fit during the meeting. To repeat an important point, non-members cannot vote, and cannot be given permission to vote by the board... even if the board unanimously wanted to grant such permission.

(There is a countervailing position, to which I myself happen to be partial, but I'll not burden new Guest Mary Ann Kelly with it. Not at no $4.50 an hour at 4 in the morning, I won't.)

Ooh, I'll ask - what is the countervailing position? (not just random curiosity, but actual practical application for me)

View PostGary c Tesser, on 31 July 2012 - 03:55 AM, said:

Ooh, I'll ask - what is the countervailing position? (not just random curiosity, but actual practical application for me)

Sorry, sMargaret, my mistake. I was thinking of a remotely related argument, where bylaws allow for "non-voting members," and the question arises as to what happens to their other membership rights. (My apologies also to Original Poster Guest_Mary Ann Kelly_, for cluttering up her discussion thread with extraneous gibberish.)

Archived