The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Temporary Replacement of Current Secretary of BOD

Guest Susie

I live in a Senior Apartment complex. We have a Board of Directors. The Secretary was in an accident and has to temporarily relinquish her duties. She recommended me to the President, who has declared I will take her place temporarily. I can't seem to find this issue addressed in Roberts Rules of Order. Can you enlighten me as to whether this is the proper procedure -- for her to just temporarily appoint me -- or do we need some kind of vote at a general Resident/Council meeting?

Thank you.

Susie

The President cannot appoint you to the postion.

Either the assembly, at each meeting, can elect someone (you) to the position of Secretary pro-tem, or, if previous notice is given in the call of the next meeting, the assembly can elect someone to the position until the Secretary returns, thereby eliminating the need to elect someone at each meeting*.

The latter option sounds easiest to me.

(*Note that RONR mentions electing a chair pro-tem beyond the current session but not a secretary pro-tem, but I can't see a reason why the same rule wouldn't apply)

Note that George's suggestions will not make you the secretary, just secretary pro tem . . .

Which means that your role begins when the meeting is called to order (well, shortly thereafter) and ends when it's adjourned. You have none of the administrative authority of the Secretary that might be exercised outside of the context of a meeting.

Which means that your role begins when the meeting is called to order (well, shortly thereafter) and ends when it's adjourned. You have none of the administrative authority of the Secretary that might be exercised outside of the context of a meeting.

Are you suggesting that a secretary pro tem is not supposed to prepare minutes of the meeting (condensing meeting notes into the form appropriate for the minutes typically being an activity that takes place after the meeting is adjourned)?

Are you suggesting that a secretary pro tem is not supposed to prepare minutes of the meeting (condensing meeting notes into the form appropriate for the minutes typically being an activity that takes place after the meeting is adjourned)?

Of course not. And, frankly, I'm surprised that you think I was.

R3uK7T

Of course not. And, frankly, I'm surprised that you think I was.

R3uK7T

Then I share Trina's misunderstanding of the first sentence of post 4, Guest_Edgar. I might let it go as nit-picking except that your statement was so explicit, that, if I understand what you said correctly, as soon as the meeting adjourned, Guest_Susie had no more association with the secretary's duties, such as drafting up the minutes when she got home, or whatever biker bar she joined you and me and Trina at.

I sort of wish this thread had ended at post #3; everything looked pretty clear at that point :) .

If it is OK to elect a secretary pro tem to serve over several sessions, as suggested by Mr. Mervosh, what should or shouldn't that person do? Would it be appropriate for the secretary pro tem to have temporary custody of the minutes book? To advise the chair on the order of business if there is something pending from a previous meeting? To show the minutes of an earlier meeting to a member who requests to see such minutes? Or should the pro tem only take notes and prepare draft minutes?

Edgar (post #4), what duties did you have in mind when you said that the secretary pro tem's role ends when the meeting adjourns?

On a separate topic, I'll also point out that the secretary pro tem, if not already a board member, does not temporarily acquire the actual secretary's membership rights during a board meeting (the original post is not clear on whether or not Susie is herself a board member).

Edgar (post #4), what duties did you have in mind when you said that the secretary pro tem's role ends when the meeting adjourns?

The Secretary (capital "S") may, for instance, have the authority to sign checks. Or to accept membership applications. Or to call special meetings. I don't believe a secretary pro tem would be able to do any of these things.

GKbkrm

A chair pro tem elected to serve for several sessions is a good analogy. Such an individual would have all the duties associated with presiding, including collecting and bringing to the meeting all materials necessary to properly preside. He would not be ex officio a member of committees by way of a bylaw designating such status to the president, and he would not have the authority to appoint committes by way of a bylaw giving that authority to the president.

If the incapacity of the president (or secretary) is likely to have a negative effect on the organization, he should resign or be removed, to allow another to take the office.

While the permanent secretary, not the pro tem, has the duty of sending the call, the call sent by anyone else would satisfy any notice requirements.

Archived