The Official RONR Q & A Forums

nonmembers present

Guest Ed

if non members are allowed to be present during a business meeting, is it correct to not allow them to participate in discussion, but remain a bystander?

Non-members (of the body that is meeting) can be permitted to participate in discussion if the assembly (the members) want them to. In other words, it's up to the assembly to decide whether non-members can attend and whether they can speak. And they can let some non-members attend and/or speak and not others.

...and to cover home plate as well, they may speak with permission by a majority vote, but they may only speak in debate by suspension of the rules, which requires a 2/3 vote.

So if an organization has two types of members (A and B), and Member type B is permitted to vote on everything except Topics X and Y, does that mean that Member B is prohibited from also making motions and debating those particular topics?

Louise, you should know better than to piggyback onto one person's question and ask a different question. C'mon now. Start your own thread, 'kay? And for heebie-jeebie's sake, log in and forget the Guest nonsense.

Ack! I did do that, didn't I? Mea culpa.

Okay, I'll go start my very own thread (yet again) right now.

(And please note that I did indeed log in. Woo hoo! No typing in the Secret Code 17 times before getting it right!!!)

Archived