The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Repeat of nomination

Solo

I have a question, please. Thank you very much in advance.

Is it relevant to nominate repeatly ths same person from floor by the same Nomination Committee member?

The person on the floor was originally recommeded by a Nomination Committee member in vain at its NC meeting. And so the same Committee member is going to bring up his recommendation to the floor.

Solo, the original poster, did use the phrase "repeatedly from the floor", but the question as posed was "The person on the floor was originally recommeded by a Nomination Committee member in vain at its NC meeting. And so the same Committee member is going to bring up his recommendation to the floor." - which I read as Nominating Committee member Adam suggested Betty for the nominating committee report, but didn't get the votes from the committee to have her selected by the nominating committee. Is it proper for Adam to nominate Betty from the floor?

If that's the case, then definitely no problem.

Indeed, should there be other members of the nominating committee who agreed with Betty's nomination, they can nominate her - from RONR, page 435: "A minority within a nominating committee, as a group, may propose other nominees for some or all of the offices in any case where nominations from the floor are permitted."

Members of the nominating committee would not be deprived of their right to nominate members from the floor unless the bylaws specifically stated that, especially given the remarks in RONR on page 433 about how service on the nominating should not carry a penalty.

I suspect that the chairman could not shoot someone who repeatedly nominated the same person from the floor, but then I'm from the Canadian parliamentarian system. We'd just politely ask them to be quiet.

Archived