The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President's Responsibility

Curious George

RONR does not mention "coordinators," per se (unless it does in one of the changes made in the 11th Edition, which, being less than a year old, I have shamefully not examined thoroughly; but I doubt it). But if this follows the patters of, say, appointment of committee members by the president, then, sure; and he can without having to wait for severe disruption. When I say he can, I assume that the club itself does not have its own rules that conflict, such as rules that give the board some say in the matter.

First I have to point out that, correcting what I said in post #2, I am not less than a year old. Please let's call that put paid, as an embarrassing syntactical error, shall we?

The Bylaws do state for those elected positions, the Executive Committee can vote to remove with a majority vote. However, it does not mention anything about the appointed Coordinators.

Well then. Either the exclusion means to be an exclusion, or it does not. True? Without attempting to interpret your bylaws over the Internet, which I cannot, and which no one can, I can further offer the vague proposal that they mean what they say, or, somehow, they do not. Which puts the burden of proof on those who might say that the bylaws say what they do not. (Hopefully without interpreting your bylsaws, I will say that if they do not authorize the executive committee to remove Coordinators from office, then they really do not authorize it) Please look at "some principles of interpretation" starting on p. 588, going on for a page and a half.

Who appoints the Coordinators? If the Board does not state anything to the contrary, then only the group/person authorized to appoint those positions would be allowed to remove the members.

The OP stated in post #1 that according to the bylaws one of the president's responsibilities is to appoint standing and ad hoc coordinators as needed.

The bylaws should be checked to see if these appointments are subject to approval by any other body, such as the board or executive committee. If they are not, then RONR's position is that the power to appoint also includes the power to un-appoint.

But I have no idea how your rule that the executive committee can vote to remove "those elected positions" relates to presidential appointments of coordinators.

Archived