The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Previous notice to amend bylaws

Guest Karen

Our newly established organization now realizes there are some amendments that need to be made to the bylaws to change a rule on obtaining Lifetime membership and to change the rule on required previous notice for amending the bylaws. The organization only meets 4 times a year. Bylaws require that Previous notice is due at the previous regular meeting. There has only been one meeting (Founding) but several program gatherings.

The Board desires to send the membership an email notice of the proposed bylaw amendments and then go ahead and vote at the upcoming meeting. Is there a way to accomplish this without violating the bylaws. A call for a special meeting may not get the attendance needed. However, can notice be given at one of the gatherings by having a quick meeting prior? This could be tough, since the gatherings are fun and informal.

Our newly established organization now realizes there are some amendments that need to be made to the bylaws to change a rule on obtaining Lifetime membership and to change the rule on required previous notice for amending the bylaws. The organization only meets 4 times a year. Bylaws require that Previous notice is due at the previous regular meeting. There has only been one meeting (Founding) but several program gatherings.

The Board desires to send the membership an email notice of the proposed bylaw amendments and then go ahead and vote at the upcoming meeting. Is there a way to accomplish this without violating the bylaws. A call for a special meeting may not get the attendance needed. However, can notice be given at one of the gatherings by having a quick meeting prior? This could be tough, since the gatherings are fun and informal.

No, if the bylaws require notice at the previous regular meeting, then the requirement will not be satisfied by sending out an e-mail notice, or by (hypothetically) calling a special meeting in order to give notice.

edited to add:

I don't see how a 'quick meeting prior' to a program event/gathering would qualify as a regular meeting.

Bylaws require that Previous notice is due at the previous regular meeting

Then that's the rule you must obey.

You certainly don't want your "newly established organization" to get off on the wrong foot by disregarding the rules it has adopted. Who knows which rules it might decide to disregard next?

I agree. However, the Board wants to change the language of the requirement for amendments to allow for previous notice at a regular meeting and/or an email in advance of the regular meeting. I think this may deny members the opportunity to have adequate debate on the proposed amendments prior to the meeting where they will have to vote. Please advise.

This could be tough, since the gatherings are fun and informal.

Well, it's clear that these gatherings aren't meetings.

I agree. However, the Board wants to change the language of the requirement for amendments to allow for previous notice at a regular meeting and/or an email in advance of the regular meeting. I think this may deny members the opportunity to have adequate debate on the proposed amendments prior to the meeting where they will have to vote. Please advise.

The opportunity to have adequate debate is what the debate phase of consideration of the motion (to amend the bylaws) is all about. It's a considerable part of being a deliberative assembly -- to deliberate! Having advance notice gives each member an opportunity to mull things over (by themselves or perhaps in small informal gatherings which are fun) in preparation for the meeting, at which they will present their most salient points during debate in a formal manner with no ostensible fun involved.

Just make sure that if the bylaws are amended to allow email notice of bylaw amendments, an adequate lead time is required (not something absurd like 24 hours) and that all members are hooked up to the internet with a correctly recorded email address maintained by the secretary. And that's just for starters.

1. Based on what you cite, it doesn;t matter what "makes sense", is fair or unfair, or anything else. Your bylaws have a requirement for amendment, and you need to comply (until you amend the bylaws according to the then-current rules).

2. Others here, more experienced, can comment, but I belong to several organizations where bylaw amendments must be presented at a previous regular meeting. The practice in these organizations is that only "notice" is given, and the discussion/debate/ etc. happens at the later meeting prior to the vote.

Archived