The Official RONR Q & A Forums

second to a motion

wwdslovene

I realize that RONR states that the person who seconds a motion is not mentioned in the Minutes.

Am I correct in assuming however, that every motion needs a second in order to proceed?

What happens with, e.g. a motion to adjourn? Does the person who seconds the motion need to be identified?

I have no understanding of what a secondary motion is as opposed to a main motion.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. Mr. Tesser, for embarrassing me and making me feel unwelcome here after my 52 apparently idiotic questions.

I guess that I misunderstood the purpose of this forum. I thought that it was a place where an ignoramus like myself could pose questions to experts as opposed to a conversation among yourselves. The 11th edition of RONR has more than 700 pages.

I do not have a legalistic mind, and I often cannot find answers which I seek either for lack of time (I do have other daily duties

to attend to) or trying to sort out what appears to me to be unclear or contradictory.

I thank those people who along the way have offered their help and direction.

Oh, don't be put off by GcT; he hasn't been getting enough sleep lately.

But rather than worry about the 700+ pages of RONR, get a copy of the 176 page RONRIB:

"Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised In Brief", Updated Second Edition (Da Capo Press, Perseus Books Group, 2011). It is a splendid summary of all the rules you will really need in all but the most exceptional situations. And only $7.50! You can read it in an evening. Get it at this link.

It is written for the non-legalistic mind and covers all you probably will ever need to know about procedure in meetings, &c. And if you run into something not in RONRIB, come on back and give GcT another try (or me).

Aw geez! I didn't mean to embarrass him, but to get a starting point!

(For example, if he replied that he has an RONR - IB, I would have pointed him to the bottom of p. 23 to the next page; and, better, if he has an RONR 11th, to look at p. 58 - 60, especially looking at the list at the top of p. 59).

It's unethical to embarrass people, in the first place, for that matter, and I think that's an understructure (if I may neologize) (and uh-oh, "neologize" isn't itself a word either, yet) of Robert's Rules's sensibility. (If I understand correctly, the Bible says that embarrassing someone is tantamount, or close to, killing someone. And Ms Truss says that the English consider it impolite to correct someone, for likewise reasons, and I think it would be nice it that would catch on. Certainly cut down on Taliban monsters throwing acid onto the faces of girls who venture into the street with their faces uncovered.

(Ohh, I bet I digress. It's been a tough week. I used to use the last four word on p. 288 as a refuge, but they have moved.)

Archived