The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes - When do you have to have them?

Guest Kathleen Keene

I am newly appointed to a HOA BOD. I have been an elected public official for 20 years in another state. My question is: If we have a quorum, pass a motion, and discuss our proposed budget for 2 hours do we need to take minutes? I'm guessing we do, but I'm not sure if HOA's follow the same guidelines as public office. Thanks for your help.

Minutes should be taken at all BOD meetings. Of course since the minutes should only reflect what was done at the meeting the 2 hours you spent on the budget probably would be addressed by noting that x moved that the budget be adopted and that it was adopted (as amended).

You know, I saw nothing in the original post indicating that the proposed budget was adopted; Ms. Keene notes that they discussed it for 2 hours. Let's hope the time was well spent.

Even if nothing was done in the RONR sense during those 2 hours, if I were secretary I would at least write something like, "The Board discussed the proposed budget for next fiscal year." I'm not sure that RONR provides support for even such a minimal description, however, if nothing was formally decided during the discussion.

You know, I saw nothing in the original post indicating that the proposed budget was adopted; Ms. Keene notes that they discussed it for 2 hours. Let's hope the time was well spent.

Even if nothing was done in the RONR sense during those 2 hours, if I were secretary I would at least write something like, "The Board discussed the proposed budget for next fiscal year." I'm not sure that RONR provides support for even such a minimal description, however, if nothing was formally decided during the discussion.

If the meeting adjourned while the motion to adopt the budget was still pending, you'll need more than your minimal description, right?

My question is: If we have a quorum, pass a motion, and discuss our proposed budget for 2 hours do we need to take minutes?

This isn't one of those "I happened to be sitting in the conference room when in walked Butch, Jimmy, and Joe and we started talking about the group and suddenly we realized we had enough for a quorum so we decided such and such even though no meeting had been scheduled but since we all happened to be in the same place at the same time we decided hey let's call it a meeting what harm could be done actually we're doing everyone a favor" things, is it?

If the meeting adjourned while the motion to adopt the budget was still pending, you'll need more than your minimal description, right?

I am newly appointed to a HOA BOD. I have been an elected public official for 20 years in another state. My question is: If we have a quorum, pass a motion, and discuss our proposed budget for 2 hours do we need to take minutes? I'm guessing we do, but I'm not sure if HOA's follow the same guidelines as public office. Thanks for your help.

It's not clear that any motion regarding the budget was actually pending. And RONR even contemplates some informal discussion when no motion is pending (p. 488 ll. 7-8)... although I doubt that 2 hours worth of informal discussion was what the authors had in mind.

Though it's not at all clear that a motion was even pending.

It's not clear that any motion regarding the budget was actually pending. And RONR even contemplates some informal discussion when no motion is pending (p. 488 ll. 7-8)... although I doubt that 2 hours worth of informal discussion was what the authors had in mind.

Yes, part of my problem is I presume they're following some of the rules in RONR, including the novel principle that you don't yap about something for 2 hours without a motion pending. Of course Ms. Keene may be back to prove me wrong. :) Of course Tim is right.

Archived