The Official RONR Q & A Forums

weighting of athlete votes for a quorum

Guest Andrea

Our board of directors is made up of 12 members. 20% of which needs to be athletes so if all members are in attendance there should be 3 athletes on our board. Right now we have 4 non athlete members present and 1 athlete member. Is it possible for us to have a quorum? If I understand the rules 1 is 20% of the total 5 members that are present? My question is if the athlete's voting power is weighted to the full voting power of the board for a quorum (so the athlete would have a voting power of 3 currently) or is the athlete's voting power weighted to the member of the board who are present (4 members are present other than the 1 athlete)?

The quorum should be stated in the bylaws, and the exact language of the quorum requirement is what governs. I suspect the quorum language may not include a discrimination of athletes and non-athletes. It sounds like the requirement you mentioned may pertain to the board composition, instead of the quorum. It's worth double checking.

Is it possible for us to have a quorum? If I understand the rules 1 is 20% of the total 5 members that are present?

As Mr. Wynn suggests, you may be conflating at least three things: a rule which defines the composition of your board, a rule which establishes the quorum requirement for board meetings (the RONR default is a majority - more than half - of the members), and any rules regarding voting requirements. A careful reading of your bylaws, in their entirety (something that's beyond the scope of this forum) should answer your questions.

Our board of directors is made up of 12 members. 20% of which needs to be athletes so if all members are in attendance there should be 3 athletes on our board. Right now we have 4 non athlete members present and 1 athlete member. Is it possible for us to have a quorum? If I understand the rules 1 is 20% of the total 5 members that are present? My question is if the athlete's voting power is weighted to the full voting power of the board for a quorum (so the athlete would have a voting power of 3 currently) or is the athlete's voting power weighted to the member of the board who are present (4 members are present other than the 1 athlete)?

Yes, it's possible for you to have a quorum, but you haven't told us what the section on quorums in your bylaws says. Just because your board is composed in a certain way does not mean your quorum follows those same rules.

And as for weighted voting: No, that violates the fundamental parliamentary principle of one-person-one-vote.

Archived