The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Election of Officers before Approval of Bylaws

BLewis

We are in the mists of forming a new organization and at a previous meeting there was an election of officers yet no bylaws had been drafted and approved.

This was to get the ball rolling on who would have some responsibility forming the bylaws. After thought (in my opinion) was this should have been a committee selection.

Now that the bylaws are at a point to be presented to the membership for vote, I'm interpreting since there are now rules to the procedure for electing officers that the previous elections are now non-binding and a new round of elections should take place based on the new requirements of the newly accepted bylaws.

That is unless something is agreed upon by the membership after the bylaws are approved stating that the previous election shall be enforced or approved for the first cycle of elections.

Can someone point me to this answer in the 11th Edition..I've searched but to no avail, as I'm certain I'll need to point out if my assumption holds true.

Thanks

We are in the mists . . .

Can someone point me to this answer in the 11th Edition..I've searched but to no avail . . .

Section 54, "Organization of a Permanent Society", explains the process.

The only "officers" elected before the adoption of the bylaws are a chair pro tem and a secretary pro tem and they only serve during meetings and until, following the adoption of the bylaws, "permanent" officers are elected.

We are in the mists of forming a new organization

While this is extremely poetic wording, I believe that what some other posters are trying to convey is that the word in question is actually "midst", not "mists.

I would urge you to acquire The Book, in order to assist with proper bylaw creation: http://www.robertsrules.com/book.html, and also look at purchasing the short, non-threatening, brief version of The Book: http://www.robertsrules.com/inbrief.html

It may save you much time in the future.

Thanks for all the help and colorful comments.

Mists was a play on word with midst, as this is new uncharted territory so there is a lot of "fog" (or mists) as we move forward.

I did have the full 11th Edition and had read it through, but sometimes you just can't find the right location when arguing a point and came here for the experience that I suspected this forum to have, which it truly did provide me with the direction.

Thanks again.

Archived