The Official RONR Q & A Forums

By-laws and house rules conflict

Guest Ruger9729

We had a member give his alcohol to an underage employee. We terminated her employment and revoked his membership. However, or by-laws are set up for 1st offense, 2nd and 3rd being 7 days, 14 and 30 respectively. However, our House rules give us the ability to act accordingly in respect to the severity of the incident. My question is: Are we covered by our House rules or have we overstepped our authority? I should add that this is what is being brought to us. Does anyone have any advice?

I apologize but I'm not quite sure that I understand. Can we simply say that the house rules are simply to compliment our by-laws therefore giving us legal authority? If so, how would we go about it? And thank you very much for your help. I have spoken with an LCE agent and he said that if he got a complaint that we didn't follow our by-laws, he would give us a written warning as he believes that we "acted in the best interests of the law".

We had a member give his alcohol to an underage employee. We terminated her employment and revoked his membership. However, or by-laws are set up for 1st offense, 2nd and 3rd being 7 days, 14 and 30 respectively. However, our House rules give us the ability to act accordingly in respect to the severity of the incident. My question is: Are we covered by our House rules or have we overstepped our authority? I should add that this is what is being brought to us. Does anyone have any advice?

It's entirely possible that termination of her employment would be covered by house rules, and that the bylaws would apply to termination of membership.

The employee was not a member. The issue being brought to us is that we are being questioned as to our authority. We felt that the action was enough to revoke his membership but our by-laws are vague in terms of serious incidents. Can we rely on our house rules as a compliment?

If your bylaws are higher ranked than the House Rules (which they probably are) then the bylaws would control when there is a conflict between the two. Without knowing the exact language in both documents (don't post them here because it is beyond this forum's scope to do interpretation) it is hard to give you a firm answer. However, assuming the bylaws don't have some qualifying language regarding what sort of offenses the 7, 14, and 30 day rule is applicable it would seem that those limits are pretty set in stone and the Membership is pretty limited in how much discretion they have in imposing the punishments.

Archived