The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Quorum

Guest Buena W. Reese

Since your topic title is "Quorum", are you referring to something in your bylaws that states the quorum is 2/3 of the membership? Is there a reason why you think this rule (which I suspect was once in place in your organization) would no longer apply?

If not that, who knows what? It's just not in RONR.

Is there a link to where this would be written down in Roberts Rules? I have been searching but unable to find. We are trying to find out if they must notify the entire Board prior to holding such a meeting. Thank you!

Two strong references (and please read them in their entirety in the book):

• p. 482 ll. 25-26: "A society has no executive board, nor can its officers act as a board, except as the bylaws may provide;....."
  • p. 486 l. 33: "In any case, a board can transact business only in a regular or properly called meeting of which every board member has been notified......." (emphasis added)

Is there a link to where this would be written down in Roberts Rules? I have been searching but unable to find. We are trying to find out if they must notify the entire Board prior to holding such a meeting. Thank you!

A subset of members can indeed plan to get together, and they can indeed gossip/talk/plan/scheme secretly, without telling everyone else on the Board what they are up to. However, although this may be a 'meeting' in a colloquial sense, it is NOT a meeting in the RONR sense. No business can be conducted on behalf of the body or on behalf of the organization.

Some entities (public bodies) may be subject to 'sunshine' laws -- in that case, even the informal get-together of a subset of members may be deemed improper. RONR itself, however, has no rules against such gatherings.

N.B. I am not disagreeing at all with the comments of Edgar, David, or Chris.

Archived