The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Definition for rule of order

Guest Jan Cousins

I see that it says on page 401 that is requrires a 2/3 vote to "suspends or modifies a rule of order previously adopted".

Our board made a decision to do cuts in our company and a motion was made and passed about a year ago. To now

undo those cuts would it take a 2/3 vote? Is this what a rule of order is?

No, it is a decision on a matter outside of the province of the rules of order. But still, it takes a greater vote to undo a thing which has been agreed to than to approve thing which is considered anew. Thus: a two-thirds vote without notice, or a majority vote with previous notice, or a vote of the majority of the entire membership.

Thank you for that very helpful information. Does it say that it takes a greater vote to undo somewhere in the book. I am looking but not finding

that statement. It makes sense I just want to be able to show the board the correct information.

Since Jan's title is "Definition for rule of order" I hope no one minds it being provided:

"The term rules of order refers to written rules of parliamentary procedure formally adopted by an assembly or an organization. Such rules relate to the orderly transaction of business in meetings and to the duties of officers in that connection. The object of rules of order is to facilitate the smooth functioning of the assembly and to provide a firm basis for resolving questions of procedure that may arise." RONR (11th ed.), p. 15, ll. 7-13 (but keep reading past the definition and object)

Archived