The Official RONR Q & A Forums

who conducts the special meeting

Leo

The bylaws of a national association inc., state, "a special meeting of a local constituent association inc., may be called by the president of the state association inc."

The bylaws are silent on who conducts the called special meeting.

Does the state association president call the special meeting, and the local constituent association's duly elected officers conduct the special meeting?

or

Does the state association president call the special meeting of the local constituent association and conduct the special meeting?

Answering an "either / or" question in the best possible way...

Yes.

But I'd lean toward the Local association chair running the meeting, since it is that association that is meeting, no matter how the meeting got called.

Since there is no rule it comes to a matter of bylaw interpretation if there is a conflict when the meeting is opened -- I can picture the two presidents fighting over the gavel. An appealed point of order would settle the question. Then amend bylaws to write a rule.

Since there is no rule it comes to a matter of bylaw interpretation if there is a conflict when the meeting is opened -- I can picture the two presidents fighting over the gavel. An appealed point of order would settle the question. Then amend bylaws to write a rule.

Yeah, but who would rule on the Point of Order and preside over the Appeal?? :unsure:

Yeah, but who would rule on the Point of Order and preside over the Appeal?? :unsure:

Whoever called the meeting to order. If there was a serious argument, I would say that whoever was presiding should submit the question of who presides over the Appeal immediately and without debate, and then allow the Appeal to resolve the ambiguity in the rules for the remainder of the meeting.

Archived