The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Non board members on a committee

Rapidribbit12

The committee reports to the board. But is chaired by this person who is not following bylaws. Im trying to get the board, chairs and committees in order. The chair has added these non members to the committee without board approval. I am working to determine what the non board members need to provide to be approved by the board.

I don't follow. John R, what makes you think they have any applicable rules at all? (I think the OP's reference to the chair's not following bylaws, and shortly thereafter mentioning board approval, is unwarranted so far. What do you see?)

Rapidribbit12, does your organization have specific, explicit rules about having non-members on committees? And who puts people on committees in the first place -- and do you have rules that say so, or do you follow Robert's Rules on the matter. (Please read the material around pp. 175 and 490. I'd be more specific but I'm gettin crosseyed.)

In any event, I think this is not a matter for the non-members to resolve (such as by providing stuff that you might find out about, here on the world's premiere Internet parliamentary forum), but for the board that the committee reports to, to decide.

I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that this is a committee of the board. Therefore, the board determines the qualifications of committee members.

I"m fine with that assumption too. But I don't see yet why the board is going to impose any qualifications on the non-members. In other words, why can we not recommend the passages in RONR about non-members serving on committees to OP (around pp. 175 and 490) Rapidrabbit, and have done with it, maybe with the caution about their own rules prevailing?

Are there any requirements these people should meet to be considered for approv[al] to the committee? … I am working to determine what the non board members need to provide to be approved by the board.

My answer is still: I dunno, ask the board. Gary N. already made the point that they don't have to become board members to join the committee, according to RONR.

Archived