The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Re-voting on issue.

Guest Paul

Can the issue be re-voted on according to Roberts' rules.

As long as the money hasn't been spent (and/or contracts haven't been signed), the board should be able to amend (change) the previously adopted motion. A two-thirds vote will do it.

Or the board could just spend $2500 and leave the difference in the treasury.

In the world of save, copy and paste, is it worth purposefully omitting the other two options to pass such a motion?

I haven't yet managed to save the "boilerplate" answers so there's no place for me to copy and paste from. Unless I look up previous replies to similar questions. Which seems like too much effort. And I trust that others will compensate for any perceived deficiencies.

More to the point, citing (only) the two-thirds requirement is the simplest, clearest way to indicate that the adoption a motion to amend something previously adopted has a higher threshold than did the adoption of the original motion.

I haven't yet managed to save the "boilerplate" answers so there's no place for me to copy and paste from. Unless I look up previous replies to similar questions. Which seems like too much effort. And I trust that others will compensate for any perceived deficiencies.

Ok, just for you to save, Mr. Mt.:

"In an assembly, except when applied to a constitution, bylaws, or special rules of order, require [a] a two-thirds vote, a majority vote when notice of intent to make the motion, stating the complete substance of the proposed change, has been given at the previous meeting within a quarterly time interval or in the call of the present meeting, or [c] a vote of a majority of the entire membership-any one of which will suffice." RONR (11th ed.), p. 306, ll. 24-31

And yes, the language is different than in the 10th :)

Archived