The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Special Member's Meeting

Guest H.B.Hofmann

Can a board member present a motion during a special member's meeting. Rumour has it that a director is going to Postpone all motions to the AGM , a 6 month delay. We are a non profit corporation with 300 members.

If the board member is a member of the body that is meeting, he can do exactly what any member of that body can do.

If this is a special meeting, only business mentioned in the call of the meeting is in order, though a motion to postpone a pending question is in order.

A motion cannot be postponed beyond a quarterly time interval or beyond the next session, so six months would be too far.

"Notice of the time, place, and purpose of the [special] meeting, clearly and specifically describing the subject matter of the motions or items of business to be brought up, must be sent to all members a reasonable number of days in advance." (RONR, 11th ed. p. 91, ll. 31-35; emphasis added).

You as a group will have to decide whether your notice meets this criteria (for what it's worth, I don't think it does).

Guest Scratching my head

"Notice of the time, place, and purpose of the [special] meeting, clearly and specifically describing the subject matter of the motions or items of business to be brought up, must be sent to all members a reasonable number of days in advance." (RONR, 11th ed. p. 91, ll. 31-35; emphasis added).

You as a group will have to decide whether your notice meets this criteria (for what it's worth, I don't think it does).

Mr. Lages, are you conflating the rules regarding how a special meeting is called with the rules for previous notice of motions? It seems you are even if that's not your intent.

Mr. Lages, are you conflating the rules regarding how a special meeting is called with the rules for previous notice of motions? It seems you are even if that's not your intent.

I don't think so, since that quote from RONR comes under the heading of Special Meeting in Section 9 -PARTICULAR TYPES OF BUSINESS MEETINGS.

Thank you for your response. I will take this up with the board.

Archived