The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Secretary & Parliamentarian?

Sean Hunt

This is something that I've never seen addressed: is it (in)advisable to have the parliamentarian also serve as secretary?

Advisable? I suppose that would depend on the particular circumstances.

But note that the secretary who also serves as parliamentarian agrees not to exercise many of the rights of membership.

And note that most ordinary (?) organizations have no ongoing need for a parliamentarian in the first place.

On the plus side, both the secretary and the parliamentarian would be in the same seat next to the presiding officer.

This is something that I've never seen addressed: is it (in)advisable to have the parliamentarian also serve as secretary?

Are you really asking if the secretary should serve as parliamentarian? Or did you really mean having the parliamentarian serving as the secretary?

If you have a parliamentarian but lack a secretary, I'd think the best plan would be to elect another member as secretary pro tem and let the parliamentarian does his job unencumbered.

I've drafted minutes during a meeting, just to show the secretary how it's done. But I've never been asked to be secretary while I was serving as parliamentarian. They usually stick me with "timekeeper." :)

Archived