The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President

Guest Blake

We are doing elections. Is the president allowed to ask nominees questions?

Do you mean that when a person is nominated for a position, the president would/could ask the person questions on how they would plan to serve the organization, qualifying him in a way to see if he's going to be a good officer/director? Because I'd have to go with "no" to your question.

Nominations are debatable, which means any member could obtain the floor and speak either for or against the nominee (as long as proper decorum is maintained), these comments being directed to the chair only. But as for a question-and-answer period, that's not something I'm aware of.

Nominations are debatable, which means any member could obtain the floor and speak either for or against the nominee (as long as proper decorum is maintained), these comments being directed to the chair only. But as for a question-and-answer period, that's not something I'm aware of.

I would highly encourage a Q&A period if the members want one, since it's far superior to no discussion as it relates to the nominees, which is sadly too often the case. Since the rules of debate in RONR are being changed if a Q&A is used, a 2/3 vote or unanimous consent to the procedure will allow for it.

I would highly encourage a Q&A period if the members want one, since it's far superior to no discussion as it relates to the nominees, which is sadly too often the case. Since the rules of debate in RONR are being changed if a Q&A is used, a 2/3 vote or unanimous consent to the procedure will allow for it.

Would you see the Q&A as simply a variation on debate (since you suggest changing the rules of debate in order to allow it)?

When suspending the rules, should the assembly decide details such as how long each member may speak, how often each member may speak, and whether the member is allowed to make a statement of opinion (as would be typical during debate) while asking his/her question?

I think the motion to suspend rules and allow for a Q&A with the nominees, if adopted, is adequate to allow the assembly to decide the other details by majority vote. Since the motion to suspend the rules isn't amendable, I wouldn't load it up with details that can be decided after the Q&A is authorized.

If that's wrong, I'd welcome clarification.

I think the motion to suspend rules and allow for a Q&A with the nominees, if adopted, is adequate to allow the assembly to decide the other details by majority vote. Since the motion to suspend the rules isn't amendable, I wouldn't load it up with details that can be decided after the Q&A is authorized.

If that's wrong, I'd welcome clarification.

Thank you!

Archived