The Official RONR Q & A Forums

can a chief fire the board of directors

fireman2321

. . . it seems he can do this as he says the members of the department can vote them out and its legal is this true. im running for chief and have been asked about this. so im looking for answers.

I'm afraid you'll have to look elsewhere. RONR has nothing to say about what fire chiefs can and can't do.

Typically, the members can remove members of a board of directors, but there are certain specific ways of going about it. It would need to be by majority vote, so the vote of one employee wouldn't be the determining factor.

You need to read your bylaws, however, and possibly the law of your area to determine what the case is.

(I'd be surprised to find that an employee can fire his employers, but then I've been surprised before.)

ive been a volunteer fireman for over 30 yrs and 8 months ago the chief of my fire dept fired the board of directors. it seems he can do this as he says the members of the department can vote them out and its legal is this true. im running for chief and have been asked about this. so im looking for answers.

I think it's more likely that he thinks he has fired the board of directors, but in fact has not, because he thinks he has that power and in fact does not.

Just because the members can vote them out does not mean he can do so without having that vote of the membership.

Archived