The Official RONR Q & A Forums

What is the Majority if one member can not vote

Guest Guest

Legislative authority of 6 with one member that cannot vote due to a conflict of interest, what would constitute a majority vote? Is it 4 out of 6 or 3 out of 5?

RONR does not remove a member's right to vote simply due to a "conflict of interest." However, majority means "more than half." And majority vote means "more than half of the votes cast by persons entitled to vote."

RONR does not remove a member's right to vote simply due to a "conflict of interest." However, majority means "more than half." And majority vote means "more than half of the votes cast by persons entitled to vote."

Maybe I am missing something, but I thought (in the absence of specific organizational rules or requirements) that a majority is more than half the votes cast (ignoring those entitled to vote, but do not). So, if 6 are entitled to vote, but 3 do not and the vote is 2 in favor of a motion and 1 opposed, that is a majority (2 of 3) and the motion passes?

Maybe I am missing something, but I thought (in the absence of specific organizational rules or requirements) that a majority is more than half the votes cast (ignoring those entitled to vote, but do not). So, if 6 are entitled to vote, but 3 do not and the vote is 2 in favor of a motion and 1 opposed, that is a majority (2 of 3) and the motion passes?

You're not missing anything. A member who refrains from voting due to a (perceived) "conflict of interest" abstains as much as a member who refrains for "lack of interest."

What troubles me most here is the "cannot vote" part. It sounds like his right to vote has been restricted externally, although this being a legislative authority, I can only guess at what rules might be in effect here.

Legislative authority of 6 with one member that cannot vote due to a conflict of interest, what would constitute a majority vote? Is it 4 out of 6 or 3 out of 5?

A majority is obtained if there are strictly more Yes votes than there are No votes. Even if the remaining two people voted No (which you did not state) there would be a majority in favor.

Abstentions, absences, deaths, etc., do not count.

Archived