The Official RONR Q & A Forums

I want to speak at our annual COA meeting, and last year they invoked Roberts Rules only allowing me 3 minutes, and I was the only speaker.

Guest Cal Knudsen

Our association is holding their annual meeting to elect officers and there is a oopen discussion perod slated when members can speak. We have had a LOT of problems with our board, leading to having to call the police on them several times. I want to speak at this meeting and inform the members of what actually has been happening. Last year our association attorney chaired the meeting and he invocked Roberts rules upon me stating I only had 3 minutes to speak. At 3 minutes he interrruptd me and told me I had 30 seconds to wrap it up. Here is the problem. I was the ONLY SPEAKER.

I assume they will do the same thing this year. I have read Roberts rules and it says 10 minutes, unless a voluntary smaller board it expecting numerous people to speak, prolonging the meeting, but this is not the case here.

You are correct that the default rule is that each member gets two 10 minute speeches per question per day (whether there is only one speaker or one hundred is irrelevant) but a body can decide to limit the length and or number of speeches a member can make. So you should do some research before the Annual Meeting to find out if the bylaws or some adopted rule limit a speaker to a 3 minute speech.

If you are unable to find such a rule go ahead and speak and if the Chair tries to shut you down after 3 minutes you should raise a Point of Order (RONR pp. 247-255) that RONR pp. 387-390 states that absent some rule saying otherwise you can speak for 10 minutes and as far as you know there is no such rule. Hopefully the Chair would rule the Point Well Taken and permit you to continue speaking. However, if the Chair rules the Point Not Well Taken and doesn't produce some rule limiting speeches to 3 minutes be prepared to Appeal the ruling (RONR pp. 255-260). I would recommend that you try to get as much information in the first 3 minutes so if the ruling shutting you down needs to be Appealed the members (wanting to hear more) should be more likely to overturn the Chair's ruling and allow you to continue to speak.

And remember that, at a meeting of the general membership of the association, board members enjoy no special status (and the board, as a board, won't be there at all). So you might want to line up as many members as you can in advance of the meeting so that, when it comes to an appeal, they'll be willing to support your right to speak (which, one day, might be their right to speak). Even if they don't want to hear what you have to say they should be willing to, as the saying goes, defend your right to say it.

And even if there is a three-minute rule in your association, it's the kind of rule that can be suspended (if you've got the votes on your side).

Agreed, but you'll want to do a bit more work gathering votes for that, since Suspend the Rules requires a 2/3 vote.

Well you know that and I know that (and now Mr. Knudsen knows that) but, given his previous mis-invocation of RONR, the association attorney might not know it.

The 10-minute limit on speeches in debate does not apply to comments made during an "open discussion period slated when members can speak". But if Robert's Rules did have something to say on the matter, who knows -- maybe it would say 3 minutes. :)

Thanks guys I realy appreciate the input. I have to admit, this is my first time living in a condo here in Florida . I went to out to buy Roberts Rules today and also found this discussion forum so I thought I would try it.

I hope it was The Right Book and/or RONR In Brief

The 10-minute limit on speeches in debate does not apply to comments made during an "open discussion period slated when members can speak".

While that's certainly good to point out, I think if Cal can't find any reference to the 3 minute time limit in his association rules, he should also be prepared to raise a point of order that RONR does not grant the chair the authority to decide how long a member can speak. Only the assembly can do that.

Archived