The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board decision vote

Guest Michelle

If a board voted on something and the majority took the vote, than the board members who voted it in resigned, can the remaining board members re-table the motion and re-vote?

"Tabling" a motion refers to setting it aside temporarily so that more pressing business can come up, not bringing a motion up for consideration... but yes, the board can do something about the adopted motion, if that's what you're asking. A member may move to amend or rescind the motion, depending on whether the goal is to change it or get rid of it entirely. Either of these motions requires a 2/3 vote, a vote of a majority of the entire membership, or a majority vote with previous notice.

EDIT: On closer inspection, I see that the motion was likely adopted - based on the language "voted it in," and the post has been edited accordingly.

So, there was a motion to .... do something... and a majority of the board voted yes on it, then resigned, and now the members who voted no (and were outvoted) want to take another crack at it, probably to vote it down?

-------------

Edited to note this post has not been edited, beyond the addition of this notification

... EDIT: On closer inspection, I see that the motion was likely adopted - based on the language "voted it in," and the post has been edited accordingly.
Edited by Josh Martin, Yesterday, 11:21 PM.

My thanks to Josh Martin for so exemplarily labelling his edited posts. I implore that others who edit their posts label them clearly, as well.

My thanks to Josh Martin for so exemplarily labelling his edited posts. I implore that others who edit their posts label them clearly, as well.

Using the "Strike Through" attribute can be helpful (and I still think editing should be disallowed once a post has been replied to).

Using the "Strike Through" attribute can be helpful (and I still think editing should be disallowed once a post has been replied to).

I tend to agree with you, especially if the replied-to post had been quoted, and thus the original text remains. But, to be fair, Josh's post had not been replied to previous to his editorial administrations.

Using the "Strike Through" attribute can be helpful

Yes, that would be even more helpful; but I'm just looking for anything that's an improvement over incomprehensible inexplicable posts that turn out, three or four posts later, if ever, to have been modified after-the-fact.

(and I still think editing should be disallowed once a post has been replied to).

Yes but of course that's up to the administration of the website, or its overlords, the server, to whom we are all enslaved -- reminds me of Cordwainer Smith's Instrumentality mythos; my comment in Post 4 focussed on voluntary common-sense action by the contributors here. And of course if the administration can do anything about anything, then this editing question is of no significance at all compared to fixing the barbaric monstrosity of a CAPTCHA code that the website has enthralled itself to, which every day smacks away who knows how many potential Original Posters who want to come here to learn what the regular contributors come here to tell them, but they can't, so we can't.

(O it must be six in the morning by now again.)

Yes, that would be even more helpful; but I'm just looking for anything that's an improvement over incomprehensible inexplicable posts that turn out, three or four posts later, if ever, to have been modified after-the-fact.

Yes but of course that's up to the administration of the website, or its overlords, the server, to whom we are all enslaved -- reminds me of Cordwainer Smith's Instrumentality mythos; my comment in Post 4 focussed on voluntary common-sense action by the contributors here. And of course if the administration can do anything about anything, then this editing question is of no significance at all compared to fixing the barbaric monstrosity of a CAPTCHA code that the website has enthralled itself to, which every day smacks away who knows how many potential Original Posters who want to come here to learn what the regular contributors come here to tell them, but they can't, so we can't.

From HPL, page 1

No.

Let me try to explain this a little better. I am involved in a little league board and we use robert's rule for our meeting. We are a very tiny league and a decision to change our league around. We have 19 board members 17 who was present the vote was 9 to 8, therefore passing the vote. After the vote was made those board members decided to resign because it is impossible due to the size of our league to make the vote happen causing a complete failure for the season and did not want to be around to see the league fail. Therefore what I am asking is, if it is impossible for our league to adopt this vote due to the size of our league can we revote on this? Hopefully this helps. I apologize as I am new to this.

Let me try to explain this a little better. I am involved in a little league board and we use robert's rule for our meeting. We are a very tiny league and a decision to change our league around. We have 19 board members 17 who was present the vote was 9 to 8, therefore passing the vote. After the vote was made those board members decided to resign because it is impossible due to the size of our league to make the vote happen causing a complete failure for the season and did not want to be around to see the league fail. Therefore what I am asking is, if it is impossible for our league to adopt this vote due to the size of our league can we revote on this? Hopefully this helps. I apologize as I am new to this.

You don't really "revote," but what you can do is for a member to make a motion to Rescind the adopted motion. The motion to rescind requires a 2/3 vote, a vote of a majority of the entire membership, or a majority vote with previous notice. If the motion to Rescind passes, then the original motion is canceled.

Archived