The Official RONR Q & A Forums

new business at an annual meeting.and election of officers.

Guest duncan beattie

Do you have more than one chair? One "neutral" and one not?

I ask because many societies incorrectly believe that the regular presiding officer should not preside over elections, and have some other "neutral" person for that purpose. RONR disagrees.

The answer, according to RONR, is that whoever is presiding over the meeting can and should accept any motion which is in order at the time--according to the prescribed order of business and the normal rules of order. If that fairly obvious statement doesn't answer the question, then I don't understand the question.

Jim: Are you asking for the words a chairman would use, or a member making a motion?

In any event see RONRIB pp. 187 ff. for samples.

RONRIB:

"Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised In Brief", Updated Second Edition (Da Capo Press, Perseus Books Group, 2011). It is a splendid summary of all the rules you will really need in all but the most exceptional situations. And only $7.50! You can read it in an evening. Get both RONRIB and RONR (scroll down) at this link.

Can the neutral Chairperson at an annual meeting and election of officers accept a motion on new or old business?

Possibly this could also be a question as to whether or not business that wasn't on the agenda can be added, if people are only expecting an election - Duncan Beattie, some clarification of your question would be good, thanks.

Proper language to present a motion? Do I say, I need a motion to approve a new file cabinet, di I have a second, discussion,all in favor, motion approved. Is this the correct way?

Saying "I need a motion to ..." is not correct.

In situations where the chair is maintaining impartiality, that's not impartial. Someone else should make the motion without being solicited.

In situations where the chair may participate fully, simply make the motion: "I move that..."

Also, you left out "all opposed", and several other required pieces, but the reference to RONRIB will straighten it out.

Archived