The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive Session Minutes

guest0

At the last Executive Session, the staff were asked to leave (including the regular minute taker). We were given hand written notes of what happened and the motion that was passed, however, no one can remember the mover and seconder.

We normally include the mover and seconder on all our motions. Any suggestions?

I've looked everywhere for some guidance.....

At the last Executive Session, the staff were asked to leave (including the regular minute taker). We were given hand written notes of what happened and the motion that was passed, however, no one can remember the mover and seconder.

We normally include the mover and seconder on all our motions. Any suggestions?

I've looked everywhere for some guidance.....

Suggestion:

Next time, if you feel you need to exclude the normal recording officer, your first task should be to elect a secretary pro-tem to take minutes. Do not proceed with any business until that's taken care of. RONR requires that any meeting have a presiding officer and a recording officer. Now you know why.

As for this last time, leave out the information you do not have and include the information that you do have, like the fact that a motion was made, what the motion was, and the fact that it passed (or didn't)--or whatever else became of it.

Assuming this was a meeting of a "small" board (with not more than about a dozen members) no second was required (nor, in any event, is it usually recorded in the minutes). But I have a hard time understanding how the member who made the motion doesn't remember doing so, especially on a question so important (or at least so confidential) that it warranted meeting in executive session.

Rm354j

Assuming this was a meeting of a "small" board (with not more than about a dozen members) no second was required (nor, in any event, is it usually recorded in the minutes). But I have a hard time understanding how the member who made the motion doesn't remember doing so, especially on a question so important (or at least so confidential) that it warranted meeting in executive session.

Rm354j

The chair may have assumed a motion based upon discussion that took place, even though it doesn't look like it was handled via unanimous consent, but we really don't know.

Why this assumption? Is there anything in Guest0's post that leads you to that?

Well, first there's the fact that the assembly went into executive session. Then there's the fact that the assembly had a staff.

But it's just an assumption, not a presumption.

Archived