The Official RONR Q & A Forums

tabling motions

Guest sandee

I will be helping with a high school competition in PP. I received the contest "problem" which had been used in a national contest today, which includes the pretend minutes of a meeting from which they glean the information they will use to present the competition meeting.. In these problem minutes, they report a motion which was tabled to the next meeting. I have always been told that tabled motions should (must) be handled at that same meeting....that postponing was the way to do that correctly. If I use these minutes to train this new team, which I have been encouraged to do, how do I explain this to the students?

Tell them that the "pretend minutes" were prepared by a "pretend parliamentarian" and that they are simply wrong in that respect.

And complain, vigorously, to the management.

Actually, Tabled motions can go over to the next meeting if no one moves to take them from the table at the current meeting. But "tabled to the next meeting" is simply an error. As you note, "postponing to the next meeting" is entirely proper.

Well, It is in order to table something, and then fail to take it up again before adjournment, in which case the motion does remain on the table until the next meeting.

So It is possible that a motion can be "tabled until the next meeting", but the motion "to table this until the next meeting" is never in order.

It's not possible to tell from your paraprhase of the sample minutes what actually occurred.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

is it true that only the person making the motion to table can take the motion off the table.

No. Any member may make the motion to Take from the Table.

when an item is taken frpm the table, does it always return to the same posture as when it was originally tabled?

Generally yes, but there are some exceptions (mostly relating to the rules of debate). See RONR, 11th ed., pg. 303, line 18 - pg. 304, line 2 for more information.

Additionally, for future reference, it is best to start a new topic when asking a new question.

Archived