The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Time Limit Request to Speak

Guest Scott Bach-Hansen

Guest Scott Bach-Hansen

We have a board meeting this week and there are a couple of topics in our by-laws that one specific individual has made it known that he wants to speak against. This gentleman is known to go on for an extremely long period of time giving a filibuster type of speech.

SInce this non-profit organization contains only individual Independent Contractors and an elected board, it tends to get a little tense when this gentleman takes a long time. With that said, is it possible to put something in writing to the Board to request a time limit for any speeches for/against our by-Law topics.

I sense that most want to allow the opportunity for any member to speak, but we do not want to feel like hostages by one or two individuals. Thank you.

Scott in VA

The default rule is that a member can only speak for 10 minutes at a time and only twice on the same question per day (RONR pp. 387-390) though your rules may say otherwise (unless this is a small Board in which case a Board member can speak an unlimited number of times though the 10 minute rule is still in force). If your rules don't impose a different rule then when the 10 minutes are up the Chair should interrupt and state his time is up citing those page numbers (or a member should raise a Point of order on the subject if the Chair doesn't act.

Is this individual a member of the board?

This is an individual member.

If he's not a member of the board then not only does he not have any right to speak at a board meeting, he doesn't even have a right to attend. So he's there as a guest and he stays, and speaks, only as long as the board allows.

qpqhph

Guest Scott Bach-Hansen

If he's not a member of the board then not only does he not have any right to speak at a board meeting, he doesn't even have a right to attend. So he's there as a guest and he stays, and speaks, only as long as the board allows.

qpqhph

Let me clarify. Our Association has to vote on the by-laws presented by our Board. This person is an individual member of the Association, not the elected board. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for guidance.

Scott

In that case then Edgar has given you the RONR position. Let me just add, though. that if your organization's bylaws give members the right to attend board meetings, that would not include the right to speak on a pending issue; and if your bylaws give members the right to attend and speak at board meetings, the board is free to establish (by majority vote) limits on the length of such speaking.

Let me clarify. Our Association has to vote on the by-laws presented by our Board. This person is an individual member of the Association, not the elected board. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for guidance.

As noted, RONR already provides time limits, and the assembly could adopt even shorter time limits by a 2/3 vote if it wished. There's no need to put this in writing as a request to the board, as it isn't the board's decision. The general membership controls its own meetings.

Just to clarify - in that case, you're not having a Board meeting, and the Board is not present as "The Board". It is a general meeting, and decisions are made by general members.

What members may wish to come prepared to do is to put forward a motion, such as "I move that debated be limited to two speeches of 5 minutes for each member".

You would then need a 2/3 vote in favour to implement this. Otherwise, ensure that there is a timer around, and once Mr. Longwinded starts, check the time - after 10 minutes, either the Chair should cut him off, or someone should make a point of order that the limits of his speech have been reached.

I would also suggest that the Chair review the rules for speaking in debate at the beginning of the debate - 10 minutes from RONR, can speak twice, but only after everyone who wishes to has had opportunity to speak for the first time, etc.

Archived