The Official RONR Q & A Forums

recording of meeting

Guest MarBru

Last night at a meeting, a resident attended our open meeting and decided to place a recording device on the table.

Does the resident have the authority to record the meeting. Can the chair request the removal of the resident because he was not

obeying the request from the chair.

Another Board member requested a resolution to have the resident place the device on the table.

I have the 11th Edition of Robert's Rules of Order and cannot locate anything on this topic

Anyone's help would be appreciated.

Does the Board require a resolution to permit the recording or just a simple show of hands ...

You would require a motion, on which the members would vote (board members if a board meeting, general members if a general meeting).

Two possible issues:

* you may have a local law that would take precedence, allowing for recording of public meetings - you may to want to check into that. This is a decent starting place for Americans: http://www.citmedialaw.org/legal-guide/recording-phone-calls-conversations-meetings-and-hearings

* my phone records meetings perfectly well when it's in my pocket, and without telling anyone about it. Something to consider - that expectation of not being recorded may have sailed.

Last night at a meeting, a resident attended our open meeting and decided to place a recording device on the table.

Does the resident have the authority to record the meeting. Can the chair request the removal of the resident because he was not

obeying the request from the chair.

Another Board member requested a resolution to have the resident place the device on the table.

I have the 11th Edition of Robert's Rules of Order and cannot locate anything on this topic

Anyone's help would be appreciated.

If this was a meeting of the board, then anyone who is not a member of the board must obey the directives of the chair in conducting the meeting, and the chair may order the non-member to leave the meeting for failing to comply. A member of the board could then appeal the chair's decision, at which point the board would vote on the question. See RONR, 11th ed., pp. 648-649.

Archived