The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Bylaw revision

guest1987

Our organization has a Constitutional committee which reviews our bylaws for any changes then it is sent to the Board and then on to our general membership. We have begun the process but we have advisors who are part of the committee who have no vote. They do not agree with the changes we are talking about and are now stalling by refusing to come to any meetings. We cannot conduct any meetings without at least one advisor present. Is there anything in Roberts Rules that we can do?

RONR help directly? Nope. Sounds like an interesting (and politically very familiar) situation.

RONR does say that the body that establishes a committee sets the procedural rules for the committee. Get that body to change the rules you work under.

Also, says RONR, the person/body/authority that names people to serve on a committee ("appoint") has the power to remove people and put new ones on. Get that body/&c. to change the people you work with.

There are important details as to how the parent body/&c. does those suggestions -- see RONR's chapter on committees and other references to committees in the book.

We cannot conduct any meetings without at least one advisor present

Says who? Is that actually in the bylaws or just something you all are being told? If indeed that is a requirement under the bylaws check them to see if there is a way to directly present proposed amendments to the Board or Membership bypassing the Committee.altogether.

Our organization has a Constitutional committee which reviews our bylaws for any changes then it is sent to the Board and then on to our general membership. We have begun the process but we have advisors who are part of the committee who have no vote. They do not agree with the changes we are talking about and are now stalling by refusing to come to any meetings. We cannot conduct any meetings without at least one advisor present. Is there anything in Roberts Rules that we can do?

You could replace the advisors with people who are willing to let the committee do its job.

Says who?

You could replace the advisors . . .

My first thought was that this was some sort of student organization in which case its bylaws might be superseded by the policies of the school and it might not have the authority to replace its advisors.

Anyway, that's the limb I'm crawling out onto.

My first thought was that this was some sort of student organization in which case its bylaws might be superseded by the policies of the school and it might not have the authority to replace its advisors.

Anyway, that's the limb I'm crawling out onto.

In that case, I would probably advise the committee to have the meetings anyway and see what happens.

Archived