The Official RONR Q & A Forums

More than one parliamentarian?

TheAdvocate

My high school has what would be best classified as a mass meeting only once a year. The principal knows little about RR, and while I know more than anyone else in the school, I still know little as well. Anyway, for the last two years the principal appointed both me and another guy (who also knows a bit about RR) as parliamentarians. But can there really be two parliamentarians? I know the answer is generally "no," but can the rule regarding this be changed? I guess since both of us are amateur level at best, the principal figures two heads are better than one.

Obviously, if you agree, no problems.

And if you disagree why not try to find out why - you'll both learn something.

And, from a technical point of view, the chair at the meeting rules on parliamentary issues, not the parliamentarian(s). So if you disagree in your advice to him/her, that is his problem.

My high school has what would be best classified as a mass meeting only once a year. The principal knows little about RR, and while I know more than anyone else in the school, I still know little as well. Anyway, for the last two years the principal appointed both me and another guy (who also knows a bit about RR) as parliamentarians. But can there really be two parliamentarians? I know the answer is generally "no," but can the rule regarding this be changed? I guess since both of us are amateur level at best, the principal figures two heads are better than one.

I know the answer is generally "no" as well, but I concur with the others that I believe an exception can be made for the Parliamentarian. It's a bit of a problem to have two chairs or two Treasurers or whatever, but I don't see why the chair can't have two advisors on parliamentary procedure. The worst thing that could happen is that the chair will get conflicting advice and he'll have to decide who to listen to, which is a little less problematic than resolving conflicts between people who can make rulings, call meetings, or spend money.

Some organizations will have a main Parliamentarian and one or more Assistant Parliamentarians. The "assistant" strategy is what we generally recommend when people start talking about multiple people sharing a position. I don't think it's essential in this case, but it may be something to consider.

I suppose I would add the caveat that if your Bylaws specify that there shall be a Parliamentarian, then you're stuck with one until the Bylaws are changed, the same as when the Bylaws say there shall be a President or a Treasurer. If your rules are silent, however, I think the chair should feel free to appoint all the parliamentary advisors he desires.

I know the answer is generally "no" as well, but I concur with the others that I believe an exception can be made for the Parliamentarian. It's a bit of a problem to have two chairs or two Treasurers or whatever, but I don't see why the chair can't have two advisors on parliamentary procedure. The worst thing that could happen is that the chair will get conflicting advice and he'll have to decide who to listen to, which is a little less problematic than resolving conflicts between people who can make rulings, call meetings, or spend money.

Some organizations will have a main Parliamentarian and one or more Assistant Parliamentarians. The "assistant" strategy is what we generally recommend when people start talking about multiple people sharing a position. I don't think it's essential in this case, but it may be something to consider.

I suppose I would add the caveat that if your Bylaws specify that there shall be a Parliamentarian, then you're stuck with one until the Bylaws are changed, the same as when the Bylaws say there shall be a President or a Treasurer. If your rules are silent, however, I think the chair should feel free to appoint all the parliamentary advisors he desires.

Thanks for an excellent and well-reasoned response.

Archived