The Official RONR Q & A Forums

MInutes

Jamie Crane

My trade organization consists of 7 board members and i recently questioned and requested the minutes of the board of directors last 6 meetings as is my right in our by-laws. I was told by one board member that some of their discussions and decisions are not recorded in the minutes. he explained that they can "pick and choose" what topics and/or decisions that wish to be recorded into the minutes. Our by lays allow for the BOD to make decisions for the membership without general membership approval or votes. Under Roberts rules of order, are they allowed to decide which decisions get to be recorded into the minutes and which do not?

Thanks for the help.

No, decisions (motions approved) need to be in the minutes. Discussions are not normally recorded in the minutes. If a policy or other actions of the organization are issued or presented as being decided or authorized by the Board, then those should be in the minutes. If the actions of the organization are those, as properly authorized, of the staff or executives, then those would probably not be in the board minutes.

Basically, my trade organization was started 12 yrs ago and I have been a member for 10. I am not on the BOD. Our trade organization has greatly advanced our industry thru technical and educational progress by our impartial membership and technical committees. Unfortunately, we have 3 board members and exactly 50% of the membership that are promoting their one particular trademarked product over the generic indusrty wide accepted product. They have the capability to make decisions at the board level since they have 3 out of the current 5 seats and have passed to have their product endorsed and promoted by our trade organizations name that well respected in our industry.

This is why I am learning as much as possible to see if i can save my organization. I have the current RR (718 pgs) and have much to learn.

Thanks very much for your help in understanding these rules.

Archived