The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Out2sea5

Hi,

1. We are a teachers union, when we have district wide steward meetings should the Executive Board Sit up front behind/to the side of the speaker?

2. We do not have a Sargent of Arms and do we need one to make sure ONLY Stewards show up at the meetings and not just any one, including members?

3. How does one become an Official Parliamentarian?

4. How do we have one or find an Official Parliamentarian to come to our meetings on a regular basis since this process is new to us? Some people are abusing Rules of Roberts Order (they only go by what the book says as per their decision/interpretation and will not acknowledge the responses from this web site).

I know this is a lot to ask all at once if I need to separate the questions out let me know and I will.

In the order you asked...

1) No real harm done, but it is not required by RONR. It may give the erroneous impression that the ExecBoard has some "special" status at general membership (Stewards) meetings. They don't - they are just "members" like all the other stewards. The only folks who need to be up front are the presiding officer, the secretary, and (if needed - sounds like it is) a parliamentarian to advise the chair.

2) That one is for you to work out. If non-members (non-steward members, that is) won't leave upon request, you have problems that RONR won't solve for you.

3) By appointment, usually by the Chair, with, commonly, approval of the Board, if payment for service is involved.

4) Piece of cake...

Anticipating

Continuing big troubles

Are procedural?

Should get in touch with

Real parliamentarian

In your area

As soon as you can

(Not virtual ones like us)

For consultations.

Contact either (or both) the ...

National Association of Parliamentarians