The Official RONR Q & A Forums

A Bylaw Holiday

William Kennedy

A provision in our bylaws says that in the event of any matter properly brought before a special meeting called by the members "despite anything in the bylaws the matter must be dealt with at that meeting" Our member group is interpretating it to mean a bylaw "holiday" with one qualifier: that parliamentary rules be observed nonetheless: Are we on safe ground? If not, why?

Bill, please keep in mind that, as stated on its Introductory Page, “The Question and Answer Forum is provided to allow an open exchange of views relevant to specific questions of parliamentary procedure under Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised”.

Thanks Dan. I will take your advice to heart. I have been taking a crash self-study course in RONR in preparation for a special meeting in late fall which is of singular importance to our member group and critical to the survival of our community organization. Unfortunately, and unwittingly, I have found myself in the lead. As you can undoubtedly understand, the learning curve is steep. In conjunction with RONR the Forum has helped immeasurably.

It might help your studies to start with RONRIB:

"Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised In Brief", Updated Second Edition (Da Capo Press, Perseus Books Group, 2011). It is a splendid summary of all the rules you will really need in all but the most exceptional situations. And only $7.50! You can read it in an evening. Get both RONRIB and RONR (scroll down) at this link. Or in your local bookstore.

It won't help with your "bylaw holiday" question, however.

Thanks Dan. I will take your advice to heart. I have been taking a crash self-study course in RONR in preparation for a special meeting in late fall which is of singular importance to our member group and critical to the survival of our community organization. Unfortunately, and unwittingly, I have found myself in the lead. As you can undoubtedly understand, the learning curve is steep. In conjunction with RONR the Forum has helped immeasurably.

Well, we welcome your participation, so please don't hesitate to post your questions. We realize that it is sometimes difficult to know whether or not there may be something in RONR that might help in interpreting provisions in your bylaws. Just don't be disappointed when the responses are to the effect that there is no way to provide useful assistance since the answer is entirely dependent upon the meaning and proper application of rules outside of RONR. :)

It might help your studies to start with RONRIB: ...

Actually, it's looking as if Bill K could use RONR - IB (in the outstandingly resplendent -- I was thinking "effulgent," but RONR 10th got the corner on that verb ten years ago -- yellow paperback cover) (note the hyphen, you highfalutin' college graduates!) as a refresher for himself, but he has graduated to The Big (sometimes called "Right" by Republicans and college graduates) Book. So, I'd say he would give himself a tactical boost by passing out a few copies of -IB to a few of his fellow members, especially his anticipated allies and maybe especially to some anticipated opponents of nevertheless some degree of integrity.

INcidentally, I have the impression that you can get a discount if you buy a couple hundred copies or so at a time. Note that I 'm not volunteering anything by anyone for anything, nor am I practicing law without a license or, heaven forfend, at a discount. I myslef have gotten copies (of the first edition, now somewhat resplendent but still obsoletely-covered, or is it the other way around) from a used-dictionary salesman.

Bill, if you're interested, I can give you my little lecture about making them all read the little book (sometimes called "The Left Book" by nobody ... yet) on the spot, but I'm chargin 25 cents for it now.

Actually, it's looking as if Bill K could use RONR - IB (in the outstandingly resplendent -- I was thinking "effulgent," but RONR 10th got the corner on that verb ten years ago -- yellow paperback cover) (note the hyphen, you highfalutin' college graduates!) as a refresher for himself, but he has graduated to The Big (sometimes called "Right" by Republicans and college graduates) Book. So, I'd say he would give himself a tactical boost by passing out a few copies of -IB to a few of his fellow members, especially his anticipated allies and maybe especially to some anticipated opponents of nevertheless some degree of integrity.

INcidentally, I have the impression that you can get a discount if you buy a couple hundred copies or so at a time. Note that I 'm not volunteering anything by anyone for anything, nor am I practicing law without a license or, heaven forfend, at a discount. I myslef have gotten copies (of the first edition, now somewhat resplendent but still obsoletely-covered, or is it the other way around) from a used-dictionary salesman.

Bill, if you're interested, I can give you my little lecture about making them all read the little book (sometimes called "The Left Book" by nobody ... yet) on the spot, but I'm chargin 25 cents for it now.

Actually, Nancy, I "attended" your little lecture not too long ago. Fortunately, I had already purchased both texts, and had the luxury of reading RONRIB lying down, not while standing at the sales counter, if only as a precaution against a sudden onset of motion sickness!

I have been thinking of holding a seminar on meetings for our group. The difficulty would be finding someone with the knowledge and experience to conduct it. Perhaps I should ask the clerk of our city council or his/her counterpart from school board?

...not while standing at the sales counter, if only as a precaution against a sudden onset of motion sickness!

LOL.

I have been thinking of holding a seminar on meetings for our group. The difficulty would be finding someone with the knowledge and experience to conduct it. Perhaps I should ask the clerk of our city council or his/her counterpart from school board?

I can't speak to your clerk or counterpart's qualifications, but you could probably get a dandy reference from the AIP or NAP, and they also have members in Manitoba and Prince Edward Island last I looked, and you could do a lot worse than conferring with some habitues of the world's premiere Internet parliamentary forum....

(Spam filter puzzle: I don't know what it is, but it looks artificial, possibly a conveyance of some sort though without visible wheels, red on top and black on the bottom. The monochrome fuzzy picture in the upper-right corner is little help. Anybody? And what about the Klingon warbird, eh?

(I said "eh" to get on Bill K's good side, maybe he'll hire someone I know who will later buy me a burger in appreciation, or as a kickback. (See, everybody? Not practicing law without a license.))

And here's how to find someone (if not geograhically limited):

Anticipate your
Continuing  big troubles
Are procedural?

Should get in touch with
Real parliamentarian
In your area

As soon as you can
(Not virtual ones like us)
For consultations.

(Can you do Haiku better, please?)

Contact either (or both) the ...

National Association of Parliamentarians
213 South Main St.
Independence, MO  64050-3850

Phone: 888-627-2929
Fax: 816-833-3893;  
e-mail: hq@NAP2.org  
<<www.parliamentarians.org>>

or

American Institute of Parliamentarians
550M Ritchie Highway #271
Severna Park, MD  21146

Phone: 888-664-0428
Fax: 410-544-4640
e-mail: aip@aipparl.org
<<www.aipparl.org>>

for a reference or information.

I have been thinking of holding a seminar on meetings for our group. The difficulty would be finding someone with the knowledge and experience to conduct it. Perhaps I should ask the clerk of our city council or his/her counterpart from school board?

In my experience, city councils and school boards often don't know parliamentary procedure any better than your group. While your city council and school board might be the exception, a professional parliamentarian is probably your safest bet.

Archived