The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominations from the floor?

dpmiller

Our Foundation has a Board of Directors but no members. Our nominating committee prepares a slate of nominees for open board positions which the board votes on. Do we need to obtain additional nominations from the board before voting on the slate? Our bylaws are silent on the issue. Our practice has been to present the slate without asking for additional nominations. The nominating committee is anticipating some controversy over its upcoming slate (which has not yet been published) and wants to avoid any procedural errors. 

Do we need to obtain additional nominations from the board before voting on the slate?

Yes, nominations from the floor are in order.

Additionally, if by "voting on the slate" you mean that you vote yes or no on the slate in its entirety, this is improper. Each position (or group of identical positions) should be handled separately, and members vote for the candidates of their choice.

Thanks for all of your feedback. I appreicate it. I think I was getting hung up on there being no members of the society vs there are members of the board. (The Board elects the new board members.) On a related question, another organization I am affiliated with has in the bylaws that additional nominations will be taken in writing. Do nominations from the floor still need to be taken if the opportunity to submit nominations in writing is announced with the publication of the Nominating Committee's report of nominees?

On a related question, another organization I am affiliated with has in the bylaws that additional nominations will be taken in writing. Do nominations from the floor still need to be taken if the opportunity to submit nominations in writing is announced with the publication of the Nominating Committee's report of nominees?

No. The organization's bylaws supersede RONR. If the bylaws state that additional nominations will be in writing, they'll be in writing.

Although as J. J. notes, it's entirely possible to make a nomination in writing during a meeting, unless the bylaws suggest otherwise.

Archived