The Official RONR Q & A Forums

what happens when you find out an election has been fixed ? and we can prove it

pamcelesnik

We have just found out of an up comming Electionis being fixed in our club  The ballots have been sent out and being returned to  an  electon commitee or  I should say the relatives of the club secretary to whom  was removed from the election comittee as she was never to be on it in the 1st place and because she refused the petitions for office from members  that were sent certified letter knowing full well who they were from.

At that time she was removed from the election comittee which accoring to the C&BL she should never been on as it states no member of the BOD will be on the election comittee.

After the BOD was called on that she was pulled off the committee .Now no where does it state that committe member must be members of the club in our C&BL, But what the BOD did was this, they made the comittee up of the neice and soon to be daughter in law of the Secretary. and a person No one can even find to exhist  any where in the US, and it so happens to be the chair person ( Note the C&BL does state that the envelope is to be address to the chair, it is not it is addressed to the club at a P.O. Box number in the town the soon to be daughter-in law lives ! Note this election would unite two clubs and let them merge  which the greater part of the membership wants and is fighting to happen, the current BOD does not want this as they fear  would lose power, but it's for the greater  good of all invaloved          Can we do anything about this ? 

so if the club secretary refuses the petitions for office of those she does not want ot run and are in good standing ,  is removed from the committee and they make all her relatives ,who are not members of the club ,the election committe the is no wrong doing ? not even conflict of interst here, also the fact the C&BL stated the ballots are to be addressed to the comittee chair and they  are not? 

I'm not entirely sure how this election of members to possibly become board members would unite two clubs, and I'm also not sure which club's constitution and bylaws apply, but I will note that you should look up how to make a Point of Order, and an Appeal, in preparation for this meeting. 

I suggest you look for the RONR in Brief book: http://www.robertsrules.com/inbrief.html - it's short and friendly. The full book - http://www.robertsrules.com/book.html - would also be helpful, but the shorter book is a wonderful place to start. 

Margret, all members used to belong to  one club, they they split  long story short members of both clubs want to be one again many members belong ot both clubs and are trying to unite the clubs in ot one once more the one clubs leaders are keeping this from happening  and a very small faction less then 10% so if we can get rid of them the unification can begin. 

so if the club secretary refuses the petitions for office of those she does not want ot run and are in good standing ,  is removed from the committee and they make all her relatives ,who are not members of the club ,the election committe the is no wrong doing ? not even conflict of interst here, also the fact the C&BL stated the ballots are to be addressed to the comittee chair and they  are not? 

I think a Point of Order regarding the ballots being sent to the wrong address might be appropriate, and possibly also regarding the issue of candidates being refused (if members cast votes for them, those votes are thrown out, and they could have affected the result).

Disciplinary action may also be in order. See FAQ #20 and Ch. XX of RONR.

The fact that the members are relatives of the Secretary violates no rule in RONR. It's maybe an issue where they have a "personal interest not in common with other members," but I think that's a stretch, and it wouldn't invalidate the election. The issue of the Secretary serving on the Election Committee has already been resolved.

Margret, all members used to belong to  one club, they they split  long story short members of both clubs want to be one again many members belong ot both clubs and are trying to unite the clubs in ot one once more the one clubs leaders are keeping this from happening  and a very small faction less then 10% so if we can get rid of them the unification can begin. 

It can probably begin even if you don't get rid of the club's leaders.

Archived