The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Meeting Minutes

Schroeder

What are the obligations of an organization in providing minutes of a meeting to its members? At regular meetings of the organization, minutes of the previous meeting are either read aloud and sometimes are printed for those in attendance. If a member does not attend the meeting can they request that the secretary make a copy and send them the minutes of the meeting? Any thoughts?

... Any thoughts?

The inestimable Chris Harrison provided you with (the applicable) facts, duly cited, which might qualify as "thoughts"; but why particularly ask for thoughts?

I ask because this is recently common, and I'm wondering where it came from.

Nancy N.

(Puzzle: Ooo, is that a lovely viola?

(Why is it that these delightful puzzles are available only to Guests, while registered members have to make do with being logged right in? I shall complain to the management. Perhaps write a snippy letter to The Times.)

What are the obligations of an organization in providing minutes of a meeting to its members? At regular meetings of the organization, minutes of the previous meeting are either read aloud and sometimes are printed for those in attendance. If a member does not attend the meeting can they request that the secretary make a copy and send them the minutes of the meeting? Any thoughts?

As Chris notes, there is no obligation under the rules in RONR.  What you can do, is propose a standing rule (RONR, p. 18) that the minutes be sent to all, perhaps  via email, maybe posting the adopted minutes on a website, or the very expensive postal mail.  Good luck getting the last one passed.   But no  matter, customize the motion to fit what is realistic for your organization.  Just a thought, even though Nancy isn't a fan of them. :)

I'll take "any thoughts?" any day. Anything's better than the hideous "What say you?".

Yeah, but where do they come from all of a sudden?

(Schroeder, I wasn't picking on you. Perhaps just grumpy, typing in the middle of the night with the sun perversely up there in the middle, when everybody civilized should be asleep, except I keep gettin up with those crocodile dreams. I might have mentioned before.)

Archived