The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nepotism

Guest Donna

Nothing in RONR prohibits relatives from serving on the same board. If the voters think it's a bad idea they'll elect someone else.

And nothing in RONR requires one family member to abstain from voting on matters that affect another family member. Again, if the voters think a board member is behaving badly, they can choose not to re-elect him or even remove him from office.

Well, RONR suggests that anyone who has a 'direct or indirect interest' in an issue should not vote.

That is not correct. The rules regarding personal involvement are as follows:

"No member should vote on a question in which he has a direct personal or pecuniary interest not common to other members of the organization." (RONR, 11th ed., p. 407)

"The tellers should be chosen for accuracy and dependability, should have the confidence of the membership, and should not have a direct personal involvement in the question or in the result of the vote to an extent that they should refrain from voting under the principle stated on page 407." (p. 414)

"Whenever a motion is made that refers only to the presiding officer in a capacity not shared in common with other members, or that commends or censures him with others, he should turn the chair over to the vice-president or appropriate temporary occupant (see below) during the assembly's consideration of that motion, just as he would in a case where he wishes to take part in debate (see also pp. 394–95). The chair, however, should not hesitate to put the question on a motion to elect officers or appoint delegates or a committee even if he is included." (pp. 451-452; see also pp. 651-652)

That is not correct. The rules regarding personal involvement are as follows:

"No member should vote on a question in which he has a direct personal or pecuniary interest not common to other members of the organization." (RONR, 11th ed., p. 407)

"The tellers should be chosen for accuracy and dependability, should have the confidence of the membership, and should not have a direct personal involvement in the question or in the result of the vote to an extent that they should refrain from voting under the principle stated on page 407." (p. 414)

"Whenever a motion is made that refers only to the presiding officer in a capacity not shared in common with other members, or that commends or censures him with others, he should turn the chair over to the vice-president or appropriate temporary occupant (see below) during the assembly's consideration of that motion, just as he would in a case where he wishes to take part in debate (see also pp. 394–95). The chair, however, should not hesitate to put the question on a motion to elect officers or appoint delegates or a committee even if he is included." (pp. 451-452; see also pp. 651-652)

The Librarian, being Johnny the Board Member's father, would not be considered a personal interest not common to the other members?

The Librarian, being Johnny the Board Member's father, would not be considered a personal interest not common to the other members?

Well, I thought the librarian was the board member's mother but, no, one should not assume that a familial relationship necessarily constitutes a personal interest. In any event. it's entirely up to the member whether to abstain or not.

Well, I thought the librarian was the board member's mother but, no, one should not assume that a familial relationship necessarily constitutes a personal interest. In any event. it's entirely up to the member whether to abstain or not.

You're assumption is probably the correct one (mother instead of father), but I think it is a real reach to consider this familial relationship common to the other Members.  Especially, if Johnny the Board Member is the one vote that results in the retention of the librarian.  I don't think the other Board members will be thinking about what Thanksgiving Dinners are going to be like if Johnny's Mom (or Dad) gets canned.  Just my opinion, but I think this easily falls in the "uncommon" category to the other members...not to mention "personal" to Johnny (who is picturing having to move Mom into the little room in his attic because she doesn't have a job).  Seems pretty personal to me.   :)

Mr. Gerber was simply clarifying RONR's rules on the subject, not stating an opinion on whether the member would or would not have a direct personal interest in a motion relating to his parent. I think Johnny the Board Member is in a much better position than us to make that call.

You're assumption is probably the correct one (mother instead of father), but I think it is a real reach to consider this familial relationship common to the other Members.  Especially, if Johnny the Board Member is the one vote that results in the retention of the librarian.  I don't think the other Board members will be thinking about what Thanksgiving Dinners are going to be like if Johnny's Mom (or Dad) gets canned.  Just my opinion, but I think this easily falls in the "uncommon" category to the other members

I don't think Edgar is disputing that the interest is not in common with other members. Rather, the question is whether it is a "direct personal interest."

not to mention "personal" to Johnny (who is picturing having to move Mom into the little room in his attic because she doesn't have a job).  Seems pretty personal to me.   :)

We have no way of knowing the relationship between the member and his parent. Even if your description is accurate, not every motion which directly affects the librarian will have a direct impact on Johnny. Johnny might determine that he has a direct personal interest on a motion which fired his mother, but I'm not sure he'd make the same call for a motion which simply changed her hours.

Concerning Library Board: Can A person be the son of a LIbrarian and be on the Board that makes decisions concerning the library and his or her salary? If so do they refrain from voting when it will driectly affect the libarian who is related? Thank you

RONR does not forbid this sort of a situation, as noted. However, there may be local governmental laws that would apply, and take precedence over RONR. Your own bylaws may also refer to this situation, and take precedence over RONR. 

Archived