The Official RONR Q & A Forums

changes to nomination slate

Guest guest

Our bylaws state that the nomination committees recommended slate must be published to the membership 30 days prior to the election meeting.  After the slate was published, several of the nonimees withdrew their names for consideration.  What is the proper procedure for filling the vacancies?  Can the nonination comnmittee then recommend new candidates or does the slate go the election meeting with those seats vacant and await nominations, if any, from the floor?   Or does something else happen.  Our bylaws do not address filling vacacancies post slate, pre election.

Yes, that is the question we have-if the deadline to publish the slate prohibits the slate being amended prior to the election meeting.

We can't answer that question for you. It's up to your organization to interpret its own bylaws. See RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 588-591 for some Principles of Interpretation.

I'm inclined to believe the following rule is still applicable, regardless of the answer to your question in post #3 -  "After the nominating committee has presented its report and before voting for the different offices takes place, the chair must call for further nominations from the floor."  RONR (11th ed.), p. 435

The rule on p. 435 seems to presuppose the report is made at a meeting (which it usually is), immediately followed by floor nominations.  The additional fact here, that your report must be made 30 days ahead of the election meeting in and of itself doesn't nullify the rule that further nominations from the floor "must" be called for, in my opinion.

Therefore, in the end, the assembly can nominate members for those positions where other members have withdrawn.

I'm inclined to believe the following rule is still applicable, regardless of the answer to your question in post #3 -  "After the nominating committee has presented its report and before voting for the different offices takes place, the chair must call for further nominations from the floor."  RONR (11th ed.), p. 435

The rule on p. 435 seems to presuppose the report is made at a meeting (which it usually is), immediately followed by floor nominations.  The additional fact here, that your report must be made 30 days ahead of the election meeting in and of itself doesn't nullify the rule that further nominations from the floor "must" be called for, in my opinion.

I certainly agree that further nominations from the floor must be called for in any event. Whether the nominating committee may make further nominations at this point is the tricky question (although since nominations can be made from the floor, I'm not sure the answer is that important).

Archived