The Official RONR Q & A Forums

annual meeting attendance via phone call

Guest Long Creek

Let me slightly amend my response - depending on the details and circumstances. With no mention or provision for attendance by phone for such a meeting, I would not see any problem with such phone attendance to listen/observe only. Such "attendees" would not be able to count for the quorum, vote or actively participate, however.

Is attendance by phone at an annual meeting (Homeownes Association) permitted by the rules?  Our bylaws say nothing about permitting this. 

No

Let me slightly amend my response - depending on the details and circumstances. With no mention or provision for attendance by phone for such a meeting, I would not see any problem with such phone attendance to listen/observe only. Such "attendees" would not be able to count for the quorum, vote or actively participate, however.

Your first answer was better. :)

A member participating by phone in a meeting of an assembly, even if permitted by the assembly to do so, is not "in attendance" unless the bylaws (or statutes) say so have authorized such participation.

Your first answer was better. :)

A member participating by phone in a meeting of an assembly, even if permitted by the assembly to do so, is not "in attendance" unless the bylaws (or statutes) say so have authorized such participation.

Yes, I agree that the member is not "in attendance", but if listening in on the meeting "live" is a desire, that is not prohibited by RONR.

Archived