The Official RONR Q & A Forums

access to records

Jason H

Our organization follows Robert's rules and elects standard officers (president, vp, treasurer, secretary.) We have a 9 person board and between 150-200 general members.

I understand that our secretary keeps all the records for our society and, as per Robert's Rules (page 460, lines 14-17):

"Any member has a right to examine these reports and the record book(s)...at a reasonable time and place, but this privilege must not be abused to the annoyance of the secretary."

My question is, where does this "right to examine" end? An issue has arisen in which requests have been made to the secretary for disclosure of the membership role. It's undetermined as what this information will be used for once provided, and since the role contains private information of our members (address, phone numbers, email addresses) it seems unclear as to how freely this information should be distributed.

Our bylaws fail to address any specific uses of the membership role, but it seems rather strange to believe that any member should be able to request a copy of the entire role and use that information any way they like. (stalking, telemarketing, etc.)

Is there any further information in Robert's Rules that I can look to, to better understand how this should be handled? Does the secretary's responsibilities also include the responsibility to safeguard this information? Obviously you can't have a situation where the secretary only provides the requested information to a select few, while others are banned from accessing the same information (effectively turning the secretary into an information dictator.)

I would assume that any voting with respect to how our members' information shall be used by our organization would be up to the entire membership (i.e. it could not be determined by the board members alone, at a board meeting.)

It seems that an explicit listing of how the information can be used is in order and any other use should not be allowed. But, in the absence of these rules, what is the proper means to police the use of the membership role and the disclosure of the information upon request?

Thanks,

Jason H

. . . it seems rather strange to believe that any member should be able to request a copy of the entire role and use that information any way they like. (stalking, telemarketing, etc.)

I agree (though that should be "roll", not "role"). When I join an organization I don't assume every member will be given my address and phone number.

But I think some here have expressed the opinion that all records should be available to all members. Stay tuned.

The best solution, of course, is for each organization to establish a privacy policy.

I think some here have expressed the opinion that all records should be available to all members.

More accurately, I think some here have said that RONR doesn't restrict members' access to a society's records. Which, when it's put that way, I suppose I have to agree with. 

So is there really a problem with Post 3?  (I assume there's no objection to ending a sentence with a preposition, )

Let's also be sure that those who look at the world's premier parliamentary Internet forum here can go ahead with accepting the parliamentary information we have provided, and that they will cheerily let us go on as ever we will about syntax and spelling and whatever else we should have let go about when we were twelve.

I agree (though that should be "roll", not "role"). When I join an organization I don't assume every member will be given my address and phone number.

But I think some here have expressed the opinion that all records should be available to all members. Stay tuned.

The best solution, of course, is for each organization to establish a privacy policy.

Indeed. As I learn more about parliamentary procedures, I'm seeing the trend that if an action is not explicitly forbidden (or even addressed) in Robert's Rules or the society's bylaws (or a higher authority) then it "can" be done. But it does seem a bit odd that any member would be able to obtain a complete copy of the membership roll at any time to be used for "who knows what."

I will "stay tuned" though...

Thanks,

JH  

... the trend that if an action is not explicitly forbidden (or even addressed) in Robert's Rules or the society's bylaws (or a higher authority) then it "can" be done. ..

It's not a trend, it's the point:  parliamentary procedure is about an organization's going about its business properly (i.e., fairly and efficiently), and all restrictions point to that as their goal, regardless of the nature of the substantive matters dealt with -- or properly ignored, like who can see what membership information, which, c'mon, does not relate to parliamentary procedure.

More accurately, I think some here have said that RONR doesn't restrict members' access to a society's records.

It doesn't give them access to all records, though. Only certain records - rules (bylaws, special rules, standing rules, etc.), minutes, and reports. Anything else is up to the organization.

Indeed. As I learn more about parliamentary procedures, I'm seeing the trend that if an action is not explicitly forbidden (or even addressed) in Robert's Rules or the society's bylaws (or a higher authority) then it "can" be done. But it does seem a bit odd that any member would be able to obtain a complete copy of the membership roll at any time to be used for "who knows what."

Nothing in RONR grants members a right to view the membership roll. On the other hand, nothing in RONR prohibits the society from releasing this information. I agree that the Secretary cannot disclose such information on his own.

Since this has become an issue, it would seem the best solution is for the society to adopt a rule on the subject.

• 3 weeks later...

But it does seem a bit odd that any member would be able to obtain a complete copy of the membership roll at any time to be used for "who knows what."

I will "stay tuned" though...

Thanks,

JH  

The citation you mentioned above gives members the right to "examine" records.  There's no mention of any right to "obtain a complete copy" of anything.

Also, I think it can depend on the situation.  In most cases my feeling is that no, a member is not entitled to see the membership roll by default - or at least more than the names (and total number) of members.  However, a couple of examples of where a member 'might' be allowed to see the membership roll:

1. If there is a question of whether Joe Smith of Chicago is a member.
  2. If Special meetings of the organization are allowed on a petition of members.
  3. Where the member is sending out information (such as a newsletter) on behalf of the organization.

#3 would normally be best if the Editor of the newsletter is a Board member (or a member of the Newsletter Committee.)  #2 would be the one reason why a member may reasonably need to see the membership roll.  Of course, as special meetings must be found in the By-laws, so should the rules regarding how the members request a special meeting.

If the concern is that someone will take the information and do "who knows what" the risk is the same that a board member will do something untoward with it as anyone else. In the organizations I've been a member of, it made far more sense to make the contact information available than it did to prevent access. Many organizations are an opportunity for their members to network with people with common interests. If one member tells another, "You should talk to Bob Brown. He's working on something like what you are," it would be nice for that member is he could pull out the membership roster and find the contact information for Bob Brown. The associations that I am involved with right now each print a minute book that is distributed to members and non-members. These books contain the minutes (obviously), written reports, the constitution and bylaws, historical information, but the majority of the pages in the books are filled with the membership roster and contact information. Of course, the members are of the type that want people to know who they are and where they are at.

Archived