The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President Resignation- Filling the position

Guest Marcie

Does the assembly need to accept the President's resignation?

Yes, through a motion to accept the resignation.  The motion only requires a majority vote.

What if the VP does not want to be the President due to inexperience?

Basically tough.  Unless the By-laws say different, the Vice President automatically becomes President when the President's resignation is accepted.  The 'new' President can either resign (meaning you have to fill two vacancies), or deal with being President.

As far as RONR is concerned, the President's only duty is to Chair meetings, which should not be too difficult if the rest of the Board is co-operative during his/her first few Board meetings.  Plus, the Chairman (i.e. the President) is allowed to appoint an experienced Parliamentarian to assist him/her with the meetings and the group is ultimately responsible for the running of a meeting so if the President is unsure of how to make a decision, he/she can generally refer the matter to the group for a decision instead.

What if the VP does not want to be the President due to inexperience?

If the assembly is willing to excuse the VP from the duty of becoming President, and if the assembly does this before accepting the President's resignation (and therefore, before the VP becomes President), then the assembly could elect a new President instead and the VP could continue serving in his current position.

If such a situation arises, however, the assembly ought to take greater care in the future when electing Vice Presidents.

Basically tough.  Unless the By-laws say different, the Vice President automatically becomes President when the President's resignation is accepted.  The 'new' President can either resign (meaning you have to fill two vacancies), or deal with being President.

While this has been a longstanding answer on this forum (and one I myself had offered for some time), recent discussions suggest it may not be entirely correct.

Does the assembly need to accept the President's resignation? What if the VP does not want to be the President due to inexperience?

Then the VP never should have accepted the office of VP, since becoming president when required is one of the duties that office. 

He does not get to choose.  He is already president.  Of course he can resign, like his predecessor did. Then he holds neither office.

Then the VP never should have accepted the office of VP, since becoming president when required is one of the duties that office. 

On one hand, I would agree, but the fact is that many organizations define the duties of the president and vice-president as more than just presiding over a meeting. The VP may be willing to preside over the meeting when the president is absent, but unwilling to preform the other duties assigned to the office of president.

On one hand, I would agree, but the fact is that many organizations define the duties of the president and vice-president as more than just presiding over a meeting. The VP may be willing to preside over the meeting when the president is absent, but unwilling to preform the other duties assigned to the office of president.

In a case where the duties of the President and Vice President are quite different, to the extent that an excellent candidate for Vice President may be a poor candidate for President (a situation I have seen in several organizations), the society should specifically provide in its bylaws for a different method to fill a vacancy in the office of President.

Archived