The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Presidential rights

Guest Guest secretary

Is it proper for the president to ask a member to appear before an executive session without asking the board of directors?

If I'm understanding correctly that this is an executive session of the board of directors and this person is not a member of the board, the board ultimately will determine whether he may be present. I suppose the President could ask him to come, but that may make things awkward for everyone if the board decides to kick him out.

If the matter was discussed in executive session but no motion was moved but only one board member questioned the matter could the matter be considers passed by Assent ?

Well, sorta maybe, but it would be iffy.  And later it would be disputable:  who knows what the hell the assembly actually enacted?!!  Gimme a break, you don't want to be encouraging this crap!

If the matter was discussed in executive session but no motion was moved but only one board member questioned the matter could the matter be considers passed by Assent ?

No, because there is no such thing. Motions are adopted by a formal vote or by unanimous consent (meaning no members object). The formality of a motion is sometimes dispensed with in small boards, but this does not change how the assembly makes a decision on the subject. Motions are not adopted by the chair guessing at the will of the assembly based on what members say in debate.

Now, if the chair actually declared the matter adopted and no member promptly raised a Point of Order, it's too late to complain about it now, but it was still improper.

Additionally, for future reference, please post a new question as a new topic, even if an existing topic appears similar.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest_secretary

No, because there is no such thing. Motions are adopted by a formal vote or by unanimous consent (meaning no members object). The formality of a motion is sometimes dispensed with in small boards, but this does not change how the assembly makes a decision on the subject. Motions are not adopted by the chair guessing at the will of the assembly based on what members say in debate.

Now, if the chair actually declared the matter adopted and no member promptly raised a Point of Order, it's too late to complain about it now, but it was still improper.

Additionally, for future reference, please post a new question as a new topic, even if an existing topic appears similar.

For clarifcation, there were no objections at the executive session regarding asking a non-board member to appear at an executive session.

I'm sorry I didn't open another topic I just felt my question kinda sorta added to this discussion topic. I certainly don't mean to start any crap.

It wasn't you at all.  I was out of sorts at 3 AM.  And of course there is no way for you as a newcomer to be aware of the routines and customs of a group, or website, that you're unfamiliar.

I shouldn't have said "crap" -- it's just that what was done was so loose, or sloppy, it was hard to make heads or tails of it.  Please just see what Mr Martin wrote in post 8, or Mr Novosielski, more pithily, in post 7.

Archived