The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can a Nominating Committee Member Nominate Herself for an Empty Position?

Guest Sally

I am a member of the nominating committee.  The committee was unable to find a candidate for a position in the slate.  Am I allowed to request the committee to add me to the slate as a candidate in the open position? Our bylaws say nothing restricting this. 

I am a member of the nominating committee.  The committee was unable to find a candidate for a position in the slate.  Am I allowed to request the committee to add me to the slate as a candidate in the open position? Our bylaws say nothing restricting this. 

Yes.  "Members of the nominating committee are not barred from becoming nominees for office themselves. To make such a requirement would mean, first, that service on the nominating committee carried a penalty by depriving its members of one of their privileges; and second, that appointment or election to the nominating committee could be used to prevent a member from becoming a nominee."  RONR (11th ed.), p. 433

And don't use the word "slate".  The report of the nominating committee should be a list containing the names of the nominees for each office.  Offices are voted on individually, not as a "slate".    After the nominating committee's report is given at the meeting, the chair should ask for additional nominations from the floor.

Archived