The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Guest guest0725

Hi

We have a President that received the Officer Position by default and is basically just bullying the senators,

every time the senate votes on something he does not want he veto the motion

All year "term" he has not been in compliance with Robert rules or the constitution and now wants to quote

"it is a fundamental principle of from edition 11 pg 423

How can we go about handling this if he wants to pick and choose what is

We have a President that received the Officer Position by default and is basically just bullying the senators,

every time the senate votes on something he does not want he veto the motion

All year "term" he has not been in compliance with Robert rules or the constitution and now wants to quote

How can we go about handling this if he wants to pick and choose what is

Since this is a student government, it's highly likely that your bylaws have their own rules regarding removing officers from office, but on the off chance they don't, see FAQ #20. I'd also note that the President has no authority to veto anything unless your bylaws grant him such authority.

Raise a prompt Point of Order if he does something you believe violated the rules and be prepared to Appeal an adverse ruling.  See RONR pp. 247-260 for details.  Another option is to Suspend the Rules allowing him to preside over the meeting (you can either allow the VP to preside or elect a Chair Pro Tem).  See Official Interpretation 2006-2  and RONR pp. 650-653 for details.  Finally, if push comes to shove see FAQ #20 which discusses removing him from office.

And nothing on page 423 of RONR 11th edition allows him to do what he is doing.  Next time he claims this, make him show you - I bet he can't find what he is looking for. 

And nothing on page 423 of RONR 11th edition allows him to do what he is doing.  Next time he claims this, make him show you - I bet he can't find what he is looking for. 

Well, my understanding is that the President was claiming that something (presumably something related to absentee voting, given the subject matter on that page) was out of order, and he may well be correct about that. The concern is that the President apparently only enforces the rules when he feels like it.

Archived