The Official RONR Q & A Forums

RR in Kindle

TheAdvocate

Why is there no digital version of RR (Kindle, iBook, whatever)? It's not like they wouldn't sell. I imagine many members on these very boards would buy a copy. It would make looking things up a cinch.

I can assure you that the lack of Kindle versions and the like of RONR (or at least RONR In Brief) is as baffling to us as it is to you.

• 10 months later...
Somewhat related: Is there any idea when version 12 might be released? Maybe that one will come with an electronic version.

Since the 7th  edition in 1970 (which was the first edition of RONR), a new edition has been released every ten or eleven years.  The current 11th edition was released in 2011.  I would not expect a new edition until around 2020 or so.  Perhaps someone with more "inside knowledge" can give you (and us) a better idea.

I have the CD-ROM version of the 11th edition and like it, but I still rely primarily....by far... on my print version.  I use the CD version mostly for copying and pasting and for word searches.    Although it is published only for  Windows, conversion programs are available to use it on Mac's.  

For a very brief period of time there was a Kindle  version of either the 10th or 11th edition, but it was pulled from the market.   A few people  who managed to get it while it was available say on this forum that one problem with it is the pagination:  The page numbering does not correspond to the page numbers in RONR, making it almost impossible to  cite as a reference and also hard to look up a reference from an RONR page number. Users have to manually find the corresponding page numbers in RONR when providing citations.  Perhaps that is one reason it was pulled from the market.  I don't know.

I think the CD-ROM edition could be accurately described as "digital". What's hard to understand is why this version can't be ordered online but must by ordered by mail or fax. Fax???

It can be ordered online and by phone from NAP.   I imagine the publisher will also take phone orders.  I bought my copy at the NAP Training Conference in Oklahoma City last year.  I saved shipping, but had to pay sales tax.  I guess that was a wash.  btw, it's five dollars cheaper from NAP for members than from the publisher, but I think NAP charges more for shipping.  Another wash. 

Archived