The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Rescinding Motions made at an AGM

Guest Lynn

I have just attended an AGM of a Seniors Society. The minutes were read from the previous AGM and a comment was made by the Chair that one of the motions made and passed at the previous AGM had been rescinded by the Executive Board at one of their meetings.

I had thought that a motion made and passed at an AGM, if not acted upon, had to be rescinded at the following AGM or at a Special Meeting and not by an executive board at a regular meeting.

I have just attended an AGM of a Seniors Society. The minutes were read from the previous AGM and a comment was made by the Chair that one of the motions made and passed at the previous AGM had been rescinded by the Executive Board at one of their meetings.

I had thought that a motion made and passed at an AGM, if not acted upon, had to be rescinded at the following AGM or at a Special Meeting and not by an executive board at a regular meeting.

You thought correctly.  The board may not overturn a decision of the membership.  The membership may, however, overturn a decision of the board, or instruct it on what to do.  Board members who don't get that are subject to discipline.

Archived