The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Two votes

Guest Maryanne

After a motion is made, discussed and a vote taken (with the result being favorable to some and not to others), can the same motion be made again (by someone who didn't like the outcome of the first vote) followed by further discussion and then a second vote taken at the same meeting?

Well, he wouldn't be making the same motion, he'd be making a motion to "Reconsider" the motion. The motion to Reconsider can only be made by someone who voted on the prevailing (i.e. "winning") side when the original motion was considered. So if the motion had been adopted, then a motion to Reconsider can only be made by someone who vote in favor of the motion. If the motion had been defeated, then a motion to Reconsider can only be made by someone who voted against the motion.

But, at the next meeting, anyone can make a motion either to amend or rescind the motion (if it had been adopted) or to "renew" the motion (i.e. make it again) if it had been defeated.

Note that RONR uses the term "Reconsider" in a very specific and narrow way. It doesn't mean what it might mean in common usage.

But, at the next meeting, anyone can make a motion either to amend or rescind the motion (if it had been adopted) or to "renew" the motion (i.e. make it again) if it had been defeated.

Well, technically speaking (in the case of an adopted motion) if no one who voted in favor of the motion was willing to move to Reconsider someone who didn't vote in favor (or didn't vote at all) could move to Rescind or Amend Something Previously Adopted.  However, since this would be taking place at the same meeting the original motion was adopted previous notice couldn't have been given so adopting R/ASPA would require a 2/3 vote or a majority of the entire membership.

Archived